Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Five young A-T-V riders die in head-on collision with car

dgibson

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Douglas, Georgia-AP -- A woman may face charges in a weekend traffic accident in Georgia that left five children dead.

Authorities say the woman's car crossed the center-line of a rural road, colliding head-on with an all-terrain vehicle. Five children on the four-wheeled A-T-V were killed, and a sixth was critically hurt.

Authorities say one of the children killed -- a 14-year-old -- was driving the A-T-V without a driver's license. The off-road vehicle isn't allowed on a public street.

The other victims ranged in age from ten to 13. Authorities are awaiting the results of a blood test on the car's driver.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>MY OPINION: Sure, the woman crossed the line and she's at least partially at fault. But what were SIX kids doing on ONE ATV ON A PUBLIC STREET???? I'm all for groups policing themselves and so on, but if the ATV crowd wants to keep their privileges then stuff like this MUST stop. Ask any experienced ER person (in this area, anyway), what they think about ATV's and you get a similar answer: they're great for the organ donor list. What a big, huge shame.
frown.gif

Another good reason why ATV's shouldn't be restricted too, or allowed to run on roads used by passenger vehicles. All the more reason to have roads and areas open to ATV travel, but with restrictions to passenger vehicles.

DG, sad article, but would you consider the UNLICECENSED ATV operator at also fault, or the parents of the operator for letting the kid drive on the road in the first place? Also, there has to be a reason why the cops are waiting for the results of a blood alkihol level.

This is very unfortunate and I'm sorry for the people involved, but it's indicative of the constant irresponsible behavior by ATV owners. If they let their kids do things like that, do you think they warn them about environmental concerns with ATV driving?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>would you consider the UNLICECENSED ATV operator at also fault, or the parents of the operator for letting the kid drive on the road in the first place? Also, there has to be a reason why the cops are waiting for the results of a blood alkihol level.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep, Ten, there's lots of blame to be handed around on this one. If the woman was driving drunk, then she deserves to have the book thrown at her regardless of who she hurt. Yes, the unlicensed operator is also technically at fault, for driving a non-road-approved vehicle on a public street without a license and with greater than the maximum safe number of passengers (to wit, ZERO). But in my heart of hearts I blame the parents of whichever kid let this situation occur to begin with. I pray to God that my kids will have better sense than to do something like this, and I pray that if they don't I'm there to stop it. I wasn't there and I don't know the "whole story," but there are some hard questions that need answering from ALL involved.
mad.gif

IT, why don't you get off your environmental high horse for a minute and take a look around at the real world. What environmental catastrophies had these people committed prior to this accident? Owning an ATV does not make a person an outlaw, or an environmental rapist. This is an unfortunate tragedy, and there are those involved here that are heavy hearted at the moment, and there's enough self blame going around I'm sure.

I can not believe someone would take this sad story, and exploit the deaths of 5 children to call for more access for ATV's.
confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Another good reason why ATV's shouldn't be restricted too, or allowed to run on roads used by passenger vehicles. All the more reason to have roads and areas open to ATV travel,... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is common decency, compassion, and related expressions toward one another no longer a part of society?
frown.gif

The kids were in trouble, from the moment they loaded 6 people on a single ATV. It did not matter if they were on the flat road, or on a dirt trail, the machine was not being used as designed, and the design limits were being exceeded, failure was imminent.
R.I.P. Five children, long before their time.

Ooo, I missed that part. I have to say I disagree; if anything, this is another good reason why children shouldn't be allowed on ATV's without adult supervision and why ATV's shouldn't be allowed on public roads to begin with. I hate to promote more restrictive laws over enforcement and use of common sense, but it is becoming apparent that there's a disconnect somewhere when it comes to ATV's.
confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I can not believe someone would take this sad story, and exploit the deaths of 5 children.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> This is very unfortunate and I'm sorry for the people involved, but it's indicative of the constant irresponsible behavior by ATV owners. If they let their kids do things like that, do you think they warn them about environmental concerns with ATV driving? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Is common decency, compassion, and related expressions toward one another no longer a part of society? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Enough said.

You know I don't post here alot because Like FEW said in another thread I don't know all about some of the issues that you guys face, but ATVs I do know.
I've riden dirt bikes or 3 wheeelers or Quads since I was old enough to kick one over and you guys lump us all together like the anti's do with gun owners. If someone came on here and started the BS that all gun owners are irresponsible you be up in arms and don't give me the constitution argument, it's BS too, apples and oranges.
It has nothing to do with being an ATV owner. It has to do with being dishonest and not obeying the law to begin with. Enforce the law leave us that are obeying it the hell alone and out of it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I can not believe someone would take this sad story, and exploit the deaths of 5 children to call for more access for ATV's.
confused.gif

"Another good reason why ATV's shouldn't be restricted too, or allowed to run on roads used by passenger vehicles. All the more reason to have roads and areas open to ATV travel,..."

Is common decency, compassion, and related expressions toward one another no longer a part of society?
frown.gif

The kids were in trouble, from the moment they loaded 6 people on a single ATV. It did not matter if they were on the flat road, or on a dirt trail, the machine was not being used as designed, and the design limits were being exceeded, failure was imminent.
R.I.P. Five children, long before their time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree Gunner. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ithaca 37: This is very unfortunate and I'm sorry for the people involved, but it's indicative of the constant irresponsible behavior by ATV owners. If they let their kids do things like that, do you think they warn them about environmental concerns with ATV driving?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It also goes against my values to exploit tragedy for ANY purpose. Give out thoughts and prayers to the family, for this is a tragedy that no one would want to be a part of. Leave it at that.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-23-2003 19:11: Message edited by: HANGAR 18 ]</font>

2fast, you're right to a great extent and there was a time when I would have agreed with you 100%. But there are an awful lot of kids getting hurt for no other reason than because no one told them any better or because someone thought "it won't happen to me." I guess the bottom line comes down to what's real and what's hype--what are the REAL numbers?

Earlier today I saw one of my neighbor's kids out riding his 4-wheeler around in circles on another neighbor's property, with his sister riding shotgun behind. Their usual "circuit" includes a 100-yard stretch on a busy road with a near-blind curve. Niether had helmets and they were flying. I've told them before that what they're doing is dangerous, but they don't care what I think and their parents don't seem to mind. The sheriff's department won't do anything until they damage someone's property. There have been enough complaints and articles in the local rag about similar situations that I know it's not an isolated incident. If the parents or riding children don't care, what else can be done?
confused.gif

Unfortunately accidents like this will continue to happen. So what's the solution? I see kids riding recklessly every year during hunting season. After a couple hours of morning hunting they're riding up and down public roads for the rest of the day, often at unsafe speeds. Some of the adults aren't much better.

Solution: Enforce the laws already on the books. The best offense is a good defense.

We have had three fatal ATV accidents in Shoshone County this year, all have involved alcohol consumed by the operator. Just recently the Sheriff has come out with an article in the paper that stated he would have his deputies stopping ATV's for any violation.

Helmets are essential, but so is the knowledge that drinking and driving is not safe, and helmets aren't fool proof. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Another good reason why ATV's shouldn't be restricted too, or allowed to run on roads used by passenger vehicles. All the more reason to have roads and areas open to ATV travel, but with restrictions to passenger vehicles. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I made that statement, and I wont retract it. I said that because around SI there seems to be this thought that ATV's should be restricted to the same road systems as passenger vehicles. Locally we can ride a registered ATV on any road that is open. ATV's are not designed to operate on paved surfaces. Riders can not react quickly to other drivers, and accidents are going to keep happening.

I see what you're saying, Ten. I took you to mean that ATV's should be allowed on public roads and car drivers just had to deal with it. Now it makes MUCH more sense.
smile.gif

I agree that they should not be allowed on paved roads or roads that have much traffic. I also believe that there are a lot of parents that are clueless of the dangers to the kids the enviroment and them selves from using the equipment improperly. But it is no more than a machine, and any machine is dangerous if you don't know what your doing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back