Caribou Gear Tarp

Fishing Maui

noahabc

Has anyone fished Maui in the Lahaina area? I'm going to be out there in March and just wondering if it would be worth it to bring my fly rod along. Anything helps.

just got back it was a pretty awesome time I caught some lizardfish, trumpetfish, and needlefish all on the fly rod. There are plenty of fish but my main problem was getting the fly down so it should be bad if you are bait fishing just bring some heavy sinkers if you get to go at all with their recent travel ban.

There are some giant bonefish that come out of Maui, but they’re pretty far and few between. Like you I’ve pitched flies along the shore and caught small reef fish, but I think hiring a guide would be the way to go to find bonefish.

I charter fished out of Lahaina (or very near as that's where we stayed). Its literally, get out of the harbor and drop lines. No long boat ride etc. You might want to think about that if you have time. A "make up" charter with others can be pretty cheap.

Sorry I can't help with the fly fishing.

We just moved our trip back until Thanksgiving week. Didn't want to take a risk with all the travel bans and quarantines happening right now.

Wow, I just got back from Maui on Sunday. The natives were becoming pretty hostile by that time in regards to non- residents. When we were there, we took the ferry to Lanai and spent the day Jeeping around. That whole island seems like it's managed for hunting. Plenty of wildlife. Think I'll bring the bow if I go again next year.
Whereabouts were you fishing? I was staying in Kaanapali, just a mile north of the Black Rock.

I’ve fished there a bunch, only found a few bones. Big cone head leach is deadly.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back