MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

First Timer

cking13

Heading to Wyoming this fall for my first mule deer hunt. Ill be hunting in region R and have read about every thread I can find about the region. I have realistic expectations and wont be to picky with this tag. Ill be hunting solo, so im a little weary about hitting the high country by myself. From threads ive read, snow will push the deer off the mountains into the foothills. My question is how much snow does it take? And how long does it need to stick around before they drop off the mountain?

Heading to Wyoming this fall for my first mule deer hunt. Ill be hunting in region R and have read about every thread I can find about the region. I have realistic expectations and wont be to picky with this tag. Ill be hunting solo, so im a little weary about hitting the high country by myself. From threads ive read, snow will push the deer off the mountains into the foothills. My question is how much snow does it take? And how long does it need to stick around before they drop off the mountain?
From my experience, they begin moving when it gets hard to get at their primary source of food and snow gets deep enough it's harder for them to evade and escape predators. I don't think they go to far though. They generally go where there is plenty of food and they can shelter from the hard winter. Exceptions apply as one of Randy's posts shows, some deer do migrate long distance.

Last edited:
We are headed up there this season . It’s our 3rd time hunting Wyoming and first time in R . We planned on getting up there a few days before the opener and starting as high we could and working our way down .

CKing how was your experience in Region R?

I had a good experience for the most part. LOTS of people, but I filled my tag with a little patience.
Good deal. Were you able to be a bit picky with your tag, or was it a first opportunity you shoot situation?

Did you go up into the bighorns, or stay lower down towards Greybull and Lovell?
Went to the high country one day but the snow was deep and I was sliding all over the place so I got out of there. I spent most of my time up closer to Montana

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back