Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

First timer

Jwhigg18

I thought I would share my first western Hunting experience with you all since some of you helped me before my first hunt with some knowledge. My father and i drove from Georgia to Northwestern Nebraska for a 5 day rifle Muley/whitetail Hunt during the rut this last year. At that time neither of us had even been that far west. I researched for months and spent I’m sure close to 100 hours looking at onX and google earth. We arrived 2 days prior to the season and the first scout scout day plan A was changed to plan B and plan B was changed to plan C. We quickly found a group of mule deer with a nice buck and after that morning found very little other then a bighorn Ram. The first hunting morning we went back to our plan C spot and after a short time found a group of mule deer moving to us with 2 shooters. I was able to move in to them closer but ended up spooking them which they ran to 120 yards.it was actually my first spot and stalk on a deer. I was able to take The shot but missed. Looking back I know I rushed the shot. My father also had a tag but the great father he is he still told me he wanted me to be up next for the next time. The next day we went back to the spot and after a few hours found the group again 1 1/4 mile away. After 1 hour of stalking closer and second guessing myself towards the end since I wasn’t sure if they would still be there at the spot I watched them last I was able to sneak 80 yards away and was able to kill the buck I missed the day before. Let me remind you the first mule deer I had ever seen was 2 days prior on the scouting day. He was a 3 1/2 year old 4x3 that I couldn’t have been more proud of. I was able to accomplish the task of finding a great mule deer and packing it out on my back which was another first for me. My father was unable to fill his tag but left with a smile on his face and we are planning more trips ahead. I have now started applying in Wyoming, Colorado and Arizona for mule deer and elk which will be future adventures.

Attachments

• E09552E9-73F8-4C0C-A879-3388FBA33697.jpeg
    E09552E9-73F8-4C0C-A879-3388FBA33697.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 69
That is awesome. Congratulations on a successful hunt out of your home state. Not an easy task. Nothing to be ashamed of with that buck.

You have discovered what I think is the best part of hunting. You pick a spot on a map and go out and figure it out once you get there. It is not all about getting something every time it is about new areas and learning to hunt them. Great job

Congratulations! That's a great first buck!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back