Caribou Gear

First Time Elk Hunting

SD_Prairie_Goat

This year I'm heading out to hunt Elk in Colorado for the first time (GMU 53). I have watched Randy's e-scouting series on Youtube and I think I have found some decent spots to be looking at, but I'm really not sure if I am looking at an Elky area or not....

Would someone be willing to look over my shoulder and let me know if I'm looking in the right spots or not? I find myself second guessing just about every spot I look at.

I would prefer via PM, just so the whole world doesn't see where I'm look at. I would imagine most people could understand that. I can then send you some images of my maps with my thoughts for said person to offer insight as they see fit.

Thanks in advance everyone.

https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas

Just in case you haven't been using the interactive map - you can play with the layers on this thing for endless hours...not really sure how you can strike out here, tells you where elk are during particular times of the year, and even seasonal migration routes.

Great that you are second-guessing yourself on spots. Nothing magical here - ANY spot can be a bust for a variety of reasons. Pays to have plans ABCDEF and be adaptable once you begin the hunt

Good luck!

I went hunting for elk for the first time last fall. We have spent quite a lot of time, but have never met a single elk. As later, we were explained by more experienced hunters, there really are elks in this area, but we came exactly when they changed pasture. I still want to try one more time. Thanks for the map, ElkFever2, I think I understood what our fault was. I also have a few questions about the equipment that will be needed (as it turned out, we weren't ready last time for the need to carry the carcass of an elk, we usually hunt birds (duck, partridge, pheasant)). I read a lot of reviews on the Internet, for example, here https://hikezone.org/best-elk-hunting-packs-reviewed/ is a description of special backpacks for hunting elk. I don't understand what equipment is better to choose. As far as I know, we need to really walk a lot, so should we choose ultra light equipment? But ultra lightweight equipment can withstand a lot of weight?

As far as I know, we need to really walk a lot, so should we choose ultra light equipment? But ultra lightweight equipment can withstand a lot of weight?
Hey, great question! I have gone on featherlight backpacking trips (sub 30 lbs pack weight including food and water), and have also carried 120 lb loads for up to 2 miles before taking a break. For reference, I am 5'11" and weigh 160 lbs. It's important to have a pack that is suited to the heaviest load you will be tackling on a particular trip. My 15 oz. 4000 CU pack is great for going up and down mountains fast and light, but this pack is not designed to be packed with 60+ lbs of gear, even if denser items (like meat bags) can fit within the listed volume. The load would be terribly uncomfortable to carry, and will wear out or even break the pack. Now consider a hypothetical high quality 4500 CU frame pack with a meat shelf that weighs 6.5 lbs. Yes, the added weight will slow you down a little bit, but get that thing properly loaded with 100 lbs and it won't feel so burdensome or uncomfortable. Make sure you have quality, sturdy boots to support this kind of load as well. A pair of trekking poles relieve strain on your knees and back, and make balancing much easier, especially on declines. There's nothing to say you can't select ultralight gear to round out the rest of your packing list. This helps make up for the extra lbs from an appropriate pack and boots.

You should also watch Corey Jacobsen's movies. His are the best for archery while Randy's are the best for post post rut and later. Corey is like a 9 time world champion elk caller and has some really great ways of hunting elk in archery season.

Also, in Colorado KNOW YOUR MAPS. There are a lot of outfitters and landowners who regularly block off public land and public roads. I had a rancher claim some state land was his and I took him to court in Eagle and won. He also ended up paying fines for blocking access to the valley where I wanted to hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back