Caribou Gear Tarp

First rifle elk 551 CO

s10

I desperately want to find someone that has hunted the first rifle portion for elk in 551 in Colorado. Unless something wild happens this year, I will be able to draw the tag. I’ve had some good conversations with folks that have hunted around 551, but not in it for elk. Do any past 551 first rifle hunters exist!? Ha. If you’ve been in the thick of it, let me know because I’m just curious as hell about your experience. Thank you!

That’s the tag I’m applying for this year. I’ve already done some E-scouting. Should be a fun hunt; good luck.

Reactions: s10
What you want to know? PM me. Been there for Archery, Muzzle, 1st, 2nd off and on during my life. Elk and Deer.

Reactions: s10
i hunted it last year for 2nd season deer,,,bumped into some elk,but 2nd season otc elk hunters came in heavy on the opener,,p m me if you have questions,,i hunted on the north side of hwy 50.

I’m heading back to this unit this year again for archery elk. Never been there during rifle but i know during archery season last year it got pretty crowded on the muzzleloader opener but after that weekend the hunting pressure wasn't bad.

551 is notorious for atv traffic, which is generally heavier north of highway 50.
Yes there was a lot of atv traffic in this unit. I covered both north and south of the unit and seen atvs on about every trail I went down.

Yes there was a lot of atv traffic in this unit. I covered both north and south of the unit and seen atvs on about every trail I went down.
Good to know, thanks for the heads up. I haven’t done a ton of e-scouting yet but I do see roads and trails everywhere. I think I’ve found a few places that will keep people out due to topography

Back