First Hat Trick!

thomas89

All tagged out for elk. Wow. This late season stuff sure is fun. Years ago I tried to get in on a hunt with our very own late-cow elk guru, only later to realize my faux-pas. This year I set out to sort it out on my own. If I didn’t know any better, I’d guess my “Wisconsin Hunter Education” patch sewn on this hat is becoming good luck.

My raghorn off my type 1 tag, my cow shot a couple weeks ago, and now this young cow shot this afternoon. Found the herd almost as soon as I started glassing today. Short 3/4 mile stalk and a 250ish yard shot. Thought it was only a group of 10 or so, turned out to be a really big herd of 300+, some bedded as close as 40 yards after I got up to look at the bowl they were in after I shot. I held a bit too much for the wind and punched one shoulder, but the barnes shouldn’t have done too much damage once I start getting it cleaned up. Tried to pick a younger cow out of the group but it sure was tricky with all the spikes mingling about. New Benchmade knife from my wife was absolutely flawless. Doesn’t get much more of a stress test than skinning/quartering an entire elk.

F369B701-D2D9-40D3-AB44-B06D093EBF11.jpeg

Just finished cutting and packaging. Hung quarters for two days. Honestly not crazy about it. Seemed like I had to trim a lot more than usual to get to good meat. Kind of a waste unless I did it wrong. Internal temp was 42* at the hottest point yesterday, this morning when I started cutting it was 38*. From what I’ve read temps should be fine for the amount of time she was hanging. Hit the joint in the shoulder so lost a great deal of shoulder and shank which I’m not too happy about. Ultimately ended up with 67# of meat total which seems right in the ballpark for a yearling with some loss due to poor shot placement.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back