Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

First Aid

I only take things I know how to use. In my opinion it doesn’t matter what you carry if you don’t know what to do or how to use the gear.

That said, my trauma med kits are various sizes depending on many factors but are all based around the TCCC military first aid protocols as that is what I know how to use. So, I always carry a tourniquet (NAR CAT7 version), gauze, clotting infused gauze, tape and elastic wraps. With those basic items I can treat everything from a minor cut to an arterial bleed, head injury, broken bones or a gunshot wound. The specific situation will determine if I carry a needle for a decompression, burntec pads, additional gauze, trauma shears, or other items like SAM splint, Israeli dressing (I don’t think it as useful as some gauze and an Ace bandage), eye cover, etc.

For minor injuries I carry itch cream (bug bites or poison ivy), aspirin, Benadryl, Tylenol, broad spectrum antibiotic, antiseptic cream (neosporin), bandaids, moleskin, chapstick, eye drops and sunscreen. Small amounts of each. Can fit it all in a small zip lock bag.

I will say that you should know where everything is located within your kit as well. I usually put everything in clear ziplock bags by what I think goes together, neosporin and bandaids, gauze and tape, etc. I also carry a small pair of hair clippers mostly for my dogs but could just as well if someone has a head injury.

For stopping life threatening bleeding, I've been carrying an Israeli bandage.

Fortunately, I've never had to use one, but it seems prudent when running around in the backwoods with broadheads, knives, and bullets. Accidents happen.

For stopping life threatening bleeding, I've been carrying an Israeli bandage.

Fortunately, I've never had to use one, but it seems prudent when running around in the backwoods with broadheads, knives, and bullets. Accidents happen.

It’s a good bandage. But the drawback is when the bleeding is caused by a deep arterial injury, it may not provide enough pressure to stop the blood loss. Rolled gauze can be made into a powerball and stuffed into the artery. Then the entire wound can be packed with more gauze and an ace bandage can be wrapped around the wound to put more pressure directly on the bleeder. So I prefer rolled gauze (1 pack that is normal and 1 pack of blood clot infused gauze) and an ace bandage or two. I find it applicable to more injuries. If I have space and weight isn’t a concern, I may also carry an Israeli bandage or other pressure dressing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back