Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Firing pin issues

maconbacon

new muzzleloader hunter here, really enjoying it so far and hoping to get a whitetail with it soon. Dialed my CVA accura v2 in with the copper Bor locks and 90 gr of BH.
After my hunt the other day, I noticed after sunset the unspent primer had a small dent in it. I got to messing around with it and realized the firing pin is stuck. No problem, I knew this could happen and after firing about 25 rounds I hadn’t cleaned it yet.
The problem came when I had a really hard time getting the bushing to unscrew. After soaking it in BH solvent for 10 minutes and with all my might, got it to turn. Took everything out and even the firing pin was super stuck in there from all the gunk, requiring pliers to get it out.
My question is, is this scenario typical from not cleaning it until now? Was there some factory grease I didn’t remove? Or am I having primer blow back issues?

new muzzleloader hunter here, really enjoying it so far and hoping to get a whitetail with it soon. Dialed my CVA accura v2 in with the copper Bor locks and 90 gr of BH.
After my hunt the other day, I noticed after sunset the unspent primer had a small dent in it. I got to messing around with it and realized the firing pin is stuck. No problem, I knew this could happen and after firing about 25 rounds I hadn’t cleaned it yet.
The problem came when I had a really hard time getting the bushing to unscrew. After soaking it in BH solvent for 10 minutes and with all my might, got it to turn. Took everything out and even the firing pin was super stuck in there from all the gunk, requiring pliers to get it out.
My question is, is this scenario typical from not cleaning it until now? Was there some factory grease I didn’t remove? Or am I having primer blow back issues?
I have the same gun, but haven’t had any issues. If you haven’t cleaned it, the primer may have been prevented from seating fulling and may have been dented when you closed the breech. That’s not good as it could go off if you closed the breech hard enough. I’m not saying this is what happened, but I can’t think of another way the primer could be dented.
It sounds like you need to clean out the primer crud after shooting. Hoppe’s #9 works better for removing primer crud than the BH solvent IMO.
It’s easy to test the firing pin function on those guns. With an unloaded gun, open the breech, pull the trigger and push on the hammer. The pin should pop out and retract when you stop pushing on the hammer.

I have the same gun, but haven’t had any issues. If you haven’t cleaned it, the primer may have been prevented from seating fulling and may have been dented when you closed the breech. That’s not good as it could go off if you closed the breech hard enough. I’m not saying this is what happened, but I can’t think of another way the primer could be dented.
It sounds like you need to clean out the primer crud after shooting. Hoppe’s #9 works better for removing primer crud than the BH solvent IMO.
It’s easy to test the firing pin function on those guns. With an unloaded gun, open the breech, pull the trigger and push on the hammer. The pin should pop out and retract when you stop pushing on the hammer.

i think I know what happened. The pin was so gunked up it got stuck and was sticking out a tad so when I closed the breech it dented the primer a bit. All clean now and it’s functioning normally. Now it’s sitting well inside the bushing whereas before it was poking out a hair. To your point, I will double check the breech plug and make sure where the primer sits is clean too, thanks! Slowly learning that these guns require a bit more TLC than center fire rifles!

It only takes a few shots to get enough gunk in the primer pocket to impact the seating depth of your primer. Particularly if you are getting a bit of blowback (very common). I have a dedicated drill bit that fits the primer pocket and another one that fits the flash hole. I’ll clean them both up after a few shots. I also carry a spare breech when I go on hunts. In case my primary gets really dirty and I don’t have the time to clean it between hunts, I can always swap it out.

It only takes a few shots to get enough gunk in the primer pocket to impact the seating depth of your primer. Particularly if you are getting a bit of blowback (very common). I have a dedicated drill bit that fits the primer pocket and another one that fits the flash hole. I’ll clean them both up after a few shots. I also carry a spare breech when I go on hunts. In case my primary gets really dirty and I don’t have the time to clean it between hunts, I can always swap it out.

awesome thanks for the tips!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back