Caribou Gear Tarp

Fireball in the sky

Elkhunter

It is a beautiful morning this morning. The sun is up and looks like a huge fireball in the sky. It is as orange as can be with the smokey air. The fire to the south is 100% contained now. Although no one likes to have a fire, the smoke can add beauty to the beginning and end of the day.

Great news on the fire being contained. I am headed down there next week (Hoback area). Is it black, or will I be in good shape?

Bill, That fireball you see is just a reflection of the heat that is actually in Arizona... or eridzona if you will.....

cool.gif

mtmiller, the fire was in the Snake River canyon and would be to the south and west of the Hoback. Any idea where in the Hoback you are going to try?

Thanks Elk. Not too sure where exactly I will end up hunting. I have never been there, well not for many years anyway and it was not tied to hunting. I hope to have a better idea after the trip.

I have a metzo connection at the Pinedale BLM and I know another biologist who worked in the area until three years ago. I work with him regularly and hope to go over some maps with him when I get back.

Hopefully the fire danger will be better than it is around here right now. BTW, if you get a good one tied up for me I would appreciate it.
biggrin.gif

Fire danger is Very High and fire restrictions go into effect on Monday.

National Forest Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Bridger-Teton National Forest
Jay Anderson/Mary Lendman
307/739-5542 - fax 307/739-5010
Interagency News Release
For Immediate Release
July 22, 2003 03-38
GRAND TETON NATIONAL PARK AND BRIDGER-TETON NATIONAL FOREST
IMPLEMENT PARTIAL FIRE RESTRICTIONS
Based upon a current fire danger rating of Very High and regional fire conditions, interagency fire
management partners will implement partial fire restrictions in both Grand Teton National Park and the
Bridger-Teton National Forest beginning Monday, July 28. Interagency fire managers study the moisture
content of various fuel types, track current and expected weather conditions, and monitor available fire-fighting
resources, as well as the occurrence of human-caused fires, to determine when fire restrictions need
to be applied to public lands.
Fire restrictions include the following:
Lighting, building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, barbecue or grill is allowed only
in designated recreation sites such as established campgrounds or picnic areas. Use of portable
stoves and lanterns using gas, jellied petroleum or pressurized liquid fuel, or use of a fully enclosed
sheepherder type stove with a spark arrester screen is permitted.
Smoking is allowed only in an enclosed vehicle, building (unless otherwise prohibited), developed
recreation site, or while in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all
flammable materials (i.e. parking lots, developed campsites, or location surrounded by water).
Operating a chainsaw in national parks is prohibited. Operating a chainsaw on national forests is
permitted only when equipped with an USDA or SAE approved spark arrester that is properly
installed and in effective working order. Operators must also carry a chemical pressurized fire
extinguisher with a minimum rating of 2A and one round point shovel with an overall length of at
least 36 inches.
Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame is prohibited, except in cleared areas
of at least 10 feet in diameter. A chemical pressurized fire extinguisher with a minimum rating of at
least 2A must be at the location.
Discharge of fireworks and use of explosives requiring blasting caps are prohibited.
Violation of these prohibitions is punishable by a fine of up to $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an
organization, and/or by imprisonment for more than six months.
Local residents and visitors should recognize that very high fire danger exists in this area and consequently
practice heightened fire safety at all times. For more information, please contact Grand Teton National Park
at (307) 739-3300 or Bridger-Teton National Forest at (307) 739-5500.
xxx
www.tetonfires.com

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back