Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Figuring it out in Idaho

DaveA27

Hello all. New to Hunt Talk. I contracted adult-onset hunting syndrome about 4 years ago and can't seem to shake it. My sons have also taken up the urge to hunt, but we've been unsuccessful in the last 2 seasons. We live in Southwest Idaho, so it seems like it should be a lot easier, but we're still struggling through the learning curve. Hope to sit quiet and soak up some knowledge from the old, grey-haired sage hunters around these forums.

Cheers,
Dave

Welcome to HT! Just keep hunting. You will learn from your mistakes and get better at doing the right things. You will get a lot of useful information here as well.

Thank you guys. My dad was a great fisherman, not a hunter. I'm really hoping someone on here just wants to adopt a 38 year man at some point. My wife would definitely say "free to a good home"!

Welcome Aboard! A buddy and I are actually looking at archery hunting elk in Idaho in the near future. Very knowledgable people on the site. You should be able to learn a lot. Good Luck!

Welcome! I've been hunting for 20 years, but just moved west in April from TX. So, hunting out here is all new to me as well. I am still working to learn everything all over again it seems. Always learning and always growing. Ask questions, read, and keep going. That's the only way to figure it out. At least that's what my plan is.

Go to the hunt planner on the state's fish and game website you plan to hunt. Look for zones that have a decent success rate for the animals that you are pursuing. Then get to know that zone like the back of your hand. Summer scouting trips will help you identify the animals summer range. From their you can usually use google or onX maps to figure out their migration when winter hits. A few discussions with the fish and game biologists familiar with the area will help confirm those migration routes before the season starts. Then when next year hits, start at the summer range and work down the migration routes until you start finding animals.
Hunting requires work and a time commitment. The rewards are often saved for those that are willing to do said work. As you figure out the animal's behavior in one zone, you will be able to apply that knowledge to different zones and find success there as well. Best of luck in you pursuit.

Welcome. I was born at Emmett but should have been Montana. Dad was delayed going to new job at Hungry Horse Dam due to shingles. For a while in the eighties I taught and coached at St Marie's in northern Idaho. I moved to Canada in 1989 but returned frequently to hunt and work for the National Park Service. In fact I'm sitting out a whiteout in central Montana as I write this.

For both elk and deer I prefer hunting late when there's snow for tracking. Stalking is much more challenging than calling them in or shooting over bait/food plots. I hunt nothing but publicly accessible land (except in South Africa where there isn't any). Don't believe in spying on game with trail cams or drones either. Without all the technocrap I still do very well. The most important thing is stay in reasonably good shape and don't smoke. Being successful requires a lot of legwork. I just turned 68 and still roam up and down the mountains ... this year wearing a hernia truss (COVID put the kibosh to elective surgery). Keep at it and keep doing push outs ... from the dinner table.

Welcome to the forum. You should have some really good Mule deer hunting in Southwest Idaho. I am from Washington and the only hunting I have done in Idaho is near St. Maries which is totally different than what you are talking about in the South West so unfortunately I can't help on that. Ask some pretty pointed questions on this forum or search specific topics. You should be able to get some solid advice just be specific about they type of hunting. Regions are vastly different and require different approaches for sure. Time of year, archery, rifle, muzzle and so on.

Welcome. The key is “the when” to be “where.”

If you get a tip from someone for a place to go check out, pay very close attention to “when” they tell you to be there.

Welcome. The key is “the when” to be “where.”

If you get a tip from someone for a place to go check out, pay very close attention to “when” they tell you to be there.
So very much this. With the migratory nature of game animals, they will move, based on whatever the move is based on. Be part of it, not an observer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back