PEAX Equipment

Field Bred English Cocker Spaniel

YoungGun

Curious if anyone here can provide the good and the bad of English Cocker Spaniels, as well as breeders or rescue organizations if you've had good (or bad) experiences with them.

My wife and I have a little Australian Shepherd, and are looking to get another dog at some point. I grew up with pointers (GSP, Weimaraner's, Griffons) for bird hunting, and would like our next dog to be a family companion foremost, but also join me on grouse and pheasant hunts from time to time. Wife grew up with ranch dogs for work, Golden's for pets. Neither of us thought we were small dog people, but man, having a little guy is so much easier than a 60-70lb dog (or two). We've maybe settled on a field bred English Cocker as the happy medium for both of our wants. We want something with longer hair than most pointers for our Montana weather and non-hunting activities. I appreciate other suggestions for breeds, but for the sake of not going off the rails, I am specifically interested in what you know or have experienced with ECS's. We'd probably be looking to get a female to even out our "pack", but also for the slightly smaller stature. We like to take the Aussie for long mountain bike rides, backcountry skiing, hikes, everything, as much as take him on errands around town, so activity and stimulation aren't an issue.

Wife would like to adopt a rescue if possible, but I'm open for something from a breeder as well. We both agree that the field bred dogs have the look, and health/disposition, we want over a show bred dog.
Thanks.

Curious if anyone here can provide the good and the bad of English Cocker Spaniels, as well as breeders or rescue organizations if you've had good (or bad) experiences with them.

My wife and I have a little Australian Shepherd, and are looking to get another dog at some point. I grew up with pointers (GSP, Weimaraner's, Griffons) for bird hunting, and would like our next dog to be a family companion foremost, but also join me on grouse and pheasant hunts from time to time. Wife grew up with ranch dogs for work, Golden's for pets. Neither of us thought we were small dog people, but man, having a little guy is so much easier than a 60-70lb dog (or two). We've maybe settled on a field bred English Cocker as the happy medium for both of our wants. We want something with longer hair than most pointers for our Montana weather and non-hunting activities. I appreciate other suggestions for breeds, but for the sake of not going off the rails, I am specifically interested in what you know or have experienced with ECS's. We'd probably be looking to get a female to even out our "pack", but also for the slightly smaller stature. We like to take the Aussie for long mountain bike rides, backcountry skiing, hikes, everything, as much as take him on errands around town, so activity and stimulation aren't an issue.

Wife would like to adopt a rescue if possible, but I'm open for something from a breeder as well. We both agree that the field bred dogs have the look, and health/disposition, we want over a show bred dog.
Thanks.
Don't mean to muddy the waters, but sounds like you have some decisions to make and also it seems you and wife are not on exactly the same page.

Don't mean to muddy the waters, but sounds like you have some decisions to make and also it seems you and wife are not on exactly the same page.
Not muddying the water- Maybe I wasn't very clear and it is I who has muddied the water. We're interested in English Cocker Spaniels- that's a decision we both came to collectively through understanding that we want a hunting dog that is small in stature and has the physical traits to take part in activities during Montana winters. That said, I'd like to get the good and the bad of the breed from any hunt talkers since I have very little hands on experience, house, or field time with them. Wife is open to getting one from a reputable breeder, as am I. Wife is also open to adopting through a hunting dog rescue, as am I (that's how my family got our GSP when I was younger). What I'm not so keen on is picking up a dog at the local shelter that is a "Spaniel/cattledog/Heinz 57".
I'm curious if anyone has good or bad experience with either specific breeders or Spaniel rescues. In the name of not throwing internet shade, DM is maybe best for bad experiences. We're willing to travel to the Midwest or the west coast. Southeast/New England is maybe a bit further than ideal.
Sorry for any confusion and thanks for any tips.

I’ve never owned one but a friend of mine who is a bird guide and trainer keeps a few on his string and they’re always a hit with clients. They’re the cutest damn things and always looking for ways to have fun. They’ve all seemed a bit on the mischievous side which is fun to watch when they’re not yours. Hunting behind them their flushing and retrieving is 98% instinct and they live for it like all hunting dogs. Tons of spunk in a small package. He’s not a dedicated breeder of cockers, mostly EPS but I think he’s planning a breeding this year from his favorite two cockers

I’ve never owned one but a friend of mine who is a bird guide and trainer keeps a few on his string and they’re always a hit with clients. They’re the cutest damn things and always looking for ways to have fun. They’ve all seemed a bit on the mischievous side which is fun to watch when they’re not yours. Hunting behind them their flushing and retrieving is 98% instinct and they live for it like all hunting dogs. Tons of spunk in a small package. He’s not a dedicated breeder of cockers, mostly EPS but I think he’s planning a breeding this year from his favorite two cockers
Thanks for sharing! That is consistent with what I've heard- they're "pocket rockets", small with an incredibly high drive, and have good personalities. Do you mind if I ask what region of the country your friend is in?

Thanks for sharing! That is consistent with what I've heard- they're "pocket rockets", small with an incredibly high drive, and have good personalities. Do you mind if I ask what region of the country your friend is in?
He’s in Southern California half the year and guiding in Oregon the other half although right now he’s sidelined with an injury and down south.

If not properly trained they can be aggressive and bite and do not have soft mouths. Judging by the dog owners around here, Most are not trained properly. I'm not a fan of any kind of cocker spaniel.

We got my dog (english foxhound) from heart of the valley. She absolutely sucks at hunting lol. But a wonderful family dog which is not to common with hunting hounds. Go to the shelter see what they have. Personally I think an older well behaved lab might be more what your looking for. Careful tho. Shelter dogs sometimes end up there for a reason and may need work.

I know it doesn't answer your question on ECS, but we have a field bred English springer spaniel. He is 40 lbs and shorter hair than the show breeds. Tons of energy and good instincts for hunting but also a great family dog that flops over in the evenings. We can have him in our tent overnight when camping for 8+ hours with no issues. Open in the tent in the morning and he is ready to go. He also loves water and snow and seems to handle the cold well. The breeder we got him from hunts waterfowl with her dogs a fair amount.

I know it doesn't answer your question on ECS, but we have a field bred English springer spaniel. He is 40 lbs and shorter hair than the show breeds. Tons of energy and good instincts for hunting but also a great family dog that flops over in the evenings. We can have him in our tent overnight when camping for 8+ hours with no issues. Open in the tent in the morning and he is ready to go. He also loves water and snow and seems to handle the cold well. The breeder we got him from hunts waterfowl with her dogs a fair amount.
Thanks for the suggestion! Local breeder in Idaho?

As a constant advocate for rescue dogs here and elsewhere I'm thrilled to hear you leaning that way. IME the vast majority of rescue dogs are not field trial caliber. Some are gunshy, some are water shy, some are kind of crazy. Out of 3 Vizslas I have rescued and 10+ I've fostered, only one was birdy. One day off leash he jumped up and caught a flying lark in his mouth! He watched 2 GSPs in the field and learned hunting w little guidance from me.

PB160135.JPG

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back