Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Fence crossing, barbs in the fancy pants

I only have 32" inseam thanks to some geriatric shrinkage. I occasionally climb over fences but only at reenforced corners or well set wooden posts. Don't try to climb over wire supported by steel posts. Sometimes the hanger straps break. The posts are often also wiggly, making balance during crossover difficult. Climbing over is something of an art form even with tight wire that's well stapled to post. Practice makes perfect ... or at least less traumatic. Attempting to climb over a middle fence post with wire that's not tight is a good way to start singing soprano! Most of the time I can push down the top wire enough to step over. Though I'm relatively thin, I rarely try to climb through unless someone is there to assist spreading wire.

Last edited:
I was taught to never climb a fence or gate........but I was once caught on a picket by my pants cuff for a while.
Usually I can just push the top down enough to step over now,or I go under. Under is the smart move on most fences....or go thru where the elk have been going.

My fence is fairly tight ,with stays and I have spots modified for elk & antelope to go under or over.

Seriously. If you can't make it over or under a fence,you need to stay in a gym or take up a hobby.

...if your real fancy in the pantsy ,you have a guide. And he goes full gyreen for the tip,lays the wire down with his body and you walk over,on him....

I’m not a big guy (even less now that gravity/age has taken over) peaking at about 6’2” in my prime. That being said I’ve always had REALLY long legs:
(Note the inseam on the Levi’s below) so the high wire act was never much of a problem for me and “my boys”😉

518911C1-07E1-49D3-B676-27D6F526794E.jpeg

My stepdad used to say “the Good Lord had to go a long ways with my son to find a solid place to punch in an a$$hole!” ….he was a logger lol

Spray tan jeans are not as big a deal, my Sitka are not so fashionably tight

Remove fancy pants for the crossing?
I swung a leg over a loose top wire the other day to land in soft mud of a cow trail the other day. Luckily it didn't end poorly

If you cant figure out how to cross a fence and have to ask the internet for advice, might be time to stay home and focus on new sport.

For those that do not have a 50 inch in seam, special leaping powers or stuck in 4th grade, here is a possible option.
Works well for kids also.
I might try a little wave cut next time.
It torpedos onto the wire.

Attachments

• 2F2E4C8D-45C2-45D8-9308-FA7897E89208.jpeg
    2F2E4C8D-45C2-45D8-9308-FA7897E89208.jpeg
    666.3 KB · Views: 13
Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back