Family Heirlooms

Most of what I own came from either my dad or grandpa. The only guns that are strictly mine are a Remington 870 express that was my primary hunting gun for years and my Winchester model 88 in .308 is my hunting rifle.
From my Grandpa, I inherited his 50's era 870 wingmaster non-vent ribbed 12 ga with a 30" barrel. It was the first gun I ever shot many years ago at a rabbit that came flying down some railroad tracks ahead of the dogs. With that 30" barrel, seemed like a cannon to me and stood taller than I was, but there was nothing in the world going to keep me from shooting it. Nowadays, I break it out every turkey season. With the fixed full choke it throws a nice tight pattern out to 30 yards.
From my dad, I inherited a number of guns. Some are simply sitting in the gun case because of age or condition. One mile-long 12 ga double barrel came from my great-grandpa. Its condition prevents me from using it for anything and, for now, it isn't worth spending the money on to get it into shooting condition. The same goes for another mile-long 12 ga double barrel that was given to my dad by a neighbor back in the 70s. Two Steven's favorites (one in working condition that is my hog killer for butchering day) also came from dad. A Remington 600 in 6mm used to be my primary hunting rifle, until I got my 88. After a couple of shots firing off when closing the bolt, I am debating sending it to Remington for the safety recall or keeping it the way dad had it. I also have a Ruger Mark I that I haven't shot in a few years but when .22 ammo was cheaper I burned a lot of power with it. My favorite small game gun is a Charles Daly 16 ga Emperor grade sxs double that is handy to carry. Finally, and probably my favorite, an S&W model 58 that rests in my nightstand drawer every night. Dependent on the load, it can be a fun shooter or an eardrum blaster. I have taken it on a few deer hunts but never had one pass close enough. It never fails to get attention when I pull it out of its holster.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back