Experience with the 308 or 338 Marlin Express rifles

chevyman181

Hello all,

I've always been interested in the 308 and 338 Marlin Express rifles. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with them and if they liked them? It's seems they are more of a collector item these days.

Thanks.

Hello all,

I've always been interested in the 308 and 338 Marlin Express rifles. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with them and if they liked them? It's seems they are more of a collector item these days.

Thanks.
I briefly had a 338 that was great, but couldn't find ammo at all so ended up selling it. The one box it came with shot MOA which I thought was pretty cool, being as it was a lever gun.

I have 2 338ME. Awesome. Just make sure you get a JM stamped version. The 338 is similar to 30-06 ballistics with a heavy bullet. Its my go to gun for heavy brush, and bear gun.

Attachments

• IMG_3562.jpg
    IMG_3562.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3388.jpg
    IMG_3388.jpg
    636.3 KB · Views: 19
I've read some interesting things about them on another forum. Something about the chambers not all being the same or similar. Be careful what you buy. I thought they would be really good but I'm a little hesitant now. There are many ardent followers who have had no issues at all. Maybe Ruger will bring them back.

I've read some interesting things about them on another forum. Something about the chambers not all being the same or similar. Be careful what you buy. I thought they would be really good but I'm a little hesitant now. There are many ardent followers who have had no issues at all. Maybe Ruger will bring them back.
Its the ones that Remington made ( Marlington). The scope holes are not in line. Horribly made. But all the Marlin ones ( JM) are fantastic shooters. Need the barrel stamped JM. Run from any that are not, even ones the have the Rem proof that it was fixed. JM or nothing.

The MX cartridges were cool, but finding ammo and components will be extremely difficult. I like the idea of that performance in a lever gun, and it can be had in the old 307 Winchester cartridge as well

I was confused on the barrel droop thing. I think that is a Remlin issue. I did find an article on the "gremlins in the 308 MX" that describes the chamber and ammo problems.

I was confused on the barrel droop thing. I think that is a Remlin issue. I did find an article on the "gremlins in the 308 MX" that describes the chamber and ammo problems.
I believe Marlin started producing the 308ME in 2007 and Remington the 338 in 2009.
As I understand it, the barrel droop issue was found on many but not all 2009 models.

2009 was the primary year of barrel droop issues.
Definitely a Remlin thing.

Hello all,

Thanks.
I've owned and successfully hunted with a 2008 308MXLR which is a pleasure to shoot and thus far, has never required a follow up shot.
Longest shot to date was 150 yards and longest walk from POI was about 15 feet.
I also have an as new 308MX with original box and paperwork that I've not shot yet.
The ballistics of the 308ME are super impressive and everything I've read about the 338ME has been positive.
I snatched up 6 boxes of 338 ammo at one of my LGSs knowing that someday, I will own one.
I've seen both chamberings fetch as high as over 3k and as little as 1.5k depending on condition and what mood the bidders are in.
They are definitely collector items and will remain so even if Ruger brings them back.
Something about the originals that will always make them collectible, but it would be awesome if Ruger did even a limited run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back