Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

eTrex 20 or 30

mdunc8

I'm looking into getting a new GPS unit so I can get my hands on some of the ownership maps for Montana and Wyoming. I can't justify paying $500 for one with all the bells and whistles especially since I've only relied on a map while hunting until now. Does anyone have any experience with a Garmin eTrex 20 or 30 especially with regards to using it with HuntingGPSmaps?

My friend has the etrex 20 with the huntinggpsmaps. Works good, fairly easy to use... besides the toggle button breaking on him, but REI replaced it.

I have the Dakota 20 which as far as I can tell is the same as the etrex but with a touch screen (which I prefer)

Oregon 450 is also nice which I use for work. Both the Dakota and Oregon are around $250.

I use an etrex 20. Using garmins mapsource program I created some maps for free. I got the idea off of hunttalk. I could have purchased the hunting gps maps but I wanted to custimize some things.

Some of the extra things the etrex 30 does is that it can download info wirelessly...not sure why you wouldn't just plug it into your computer with the cord, has a tilt 3 axis electric compass....compass on the etrex20 works just fine for me, and has some sort of extra software with the picture viewer...the screen is small on the unit so I'm not sure how much bennifit you get from that.

Mike, go down and demo the etrex and Oregon side by side. I went down recently set on the etrex with the same mindset you have, I wanted to save some $$. After trying both side by side at the store and an excruciating mental debate I walked out with the Oregon. I would say the difference in price is worth the ease of use. My twopence worth.

Back