Estimating live weight ?

Sounds good Raybow, thanks. Sounds like some nice blacktails. I will just have to see those eventually. My best is a 3x4, im guessing about 105-110. The area I hunt has a screwed up gene pool, theres some big bucks but they only grow 2 points, Ive shot a few 4&5 year old 2 points and they are pretty impressive but wont score squat but it aint about the score. Ive been trying new areas the last couple years and am slowly closing in on big bucks. After I tagged out this year I was out scouting and saw a 6x6 that was just rediculously huge , definitely a booner , next year its that buck only for me. Thanks

Hornseeker:
Most are bow kills. I just scored one of my 4x4's and he wasn't as big as I would have guessed. He went 123. The good news is I do have some that are bigger so I may hit the 130+ mark. I've got one whitetail 5x6 that is pretty nice. He's got very long eyeguards and was a bow kill in Eastern Washington.

Cool Ray. Growing up I saw a lot of those big boys, between 120 and 140. Saw one buck one time that may have gone 155, he was a hawg, but was also right on the line in the Cascades, probably had a tad bit of mulie blood in him. I didn't hunt them too hard, was too busy chasing bears and cats. Sure did see a lot of big bull and bucks chasing those dogs around.

I have a buddy in Longview that you really remind me of. He's a timber worker too, but on the engineering side, laying out sales and roads, but he's killed a bunch of Blacktails in the 110-130 range and would dominate the top 10 if he ever entered them. He's an elk killing bastard too. His brother really kills the big bulls though.

Anyhow, look forward to meeting you someday and looking at some horns!

Later,

HS

Nah, give yourself some credit man, those are dandies! Look at the P&Y book, you would be near the top. Matter of fact, between you and my other buddy you'd probably rule the top.

Right on HS:
I just scored a couple others and the White tail ended up at 134 and the blacktail ended up at 132, shit what a bummer. I got one other that may go a couple points more but that's it. Looks like the majority of them are in the 120 range.

Another method of determining live weight is size compared to the bait drum. for example a 55 gallon drum has three rings. Anything for the first ring and under is less than 100 lbs, anything between the second and third ring is 175-250 lbs, anything above the barrel is 300-500lbs. Only works if you are baitng with barrels!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back