Elk Unit 27 Grizzly bears

I drew an elk tag for Unit 25/27 and unfortunately I'll be stuck going solo for the archery portion. I saw a distribution map of the grizzly bears in Wyoming and saw that it stretches all the way down into 27 now. Are those maps created based off bear sightings or are they based off projections or both. If you were to hunt in unit 27 would you treat it like you were hunting grizzly country. I'm trying to get out of my own head and talk myself into the state of "I do everything right I should be fine". Doing everything right being keeping my food tied up 100 yards away, not shooting an elk in the evening, not hiking in/out in the dark.

Those maps are based on known verified sightings, collar locations or conflicts. The "boundary" or line is a smoothed buffer around those points. Some points fall outside that buffer as well, it's kind of a density and proximity thing. I'd do everything right if I were you, but wouldn't worry. The density of grizzly bears in that southern end is still extremely low.

Contact the Lander region biologist and ask that question. Suspect that you will get the answer that there are way more black bears than grizzlies in the area. We were in 99 in 2019 and didn't see any bear sign at all, not saying that they weren't there. The bigger problem we ran into was the flattened timber in huge swaths. That Labor Day a windstorm went through that totally annihilated areas of standing timber and made it very hard to access certain areas. The elk were there, but down timber changed our plans a bit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back