Elk on Utah North Slope - Info?

cowboy18

Hey ya'll, I drew a mule deer tag on Utah's North slope Uinta Mnts for late Oct, but I know they have decent herd of elk in there too. The general season is in early Oct so I was thinking about working my way on the north side (south side of Unit 8) and was wondering if anyone has had experience back in there and where the least used campsite is? The last time I was back in there it was in the 80s with my pops on horseback but I don't recall much from back then and was wondering if someone would be willing to point me in good direction to get started. I hear it's gotten quite crowded during the summer but don't know about Oct. I've been looking for migration patterns online but not much luck. I can only assume in late Oct they start heading to the WY/UT border to the north, but if I had a drainage or two to start looking into, it would allow me to focus with my Google Earth Scouting. If you're hesitant to post your ideas I welcome any and all private messages.
By the way, if anyone is interested in and Outdoorsmans Long Range Pack (7200ci) I have one posted for sale. Great pack but didn't fit me the way I wanted it too, although I packed out an elk last year with it with no issues and it's too much of a pack for my son. Asking 500, coyote/camo color.

There are elk dispersed all over the NS. As for your deer tag I've seen very few deer above timberline that time of year and there aren't enough deer to have a migration route that would see heavy enough use to be worth sitting on.

Hello the north slope is some beautiful country. If you have time I would definitely take your fishing pole as well.
There are some very nice high country bucks to be had up there. Not a whole lot but you will see some dark antlered heavy deer wondering around. I would try the east fork the further east from highway 150 you get the better off you will be for success on both elk and deer.
Definitely use the Wyoming border to your advantage as well as the animals will cross back and forth.for elk I would try the China meadows area.
I would also get your camera ready as there are some nice shiras moose on the unit as well.
Big country up there of you get away from the roads and find a good aspen patch amongst all that timber you might be able to fill both tags in one day good luck

One word of caution it is a zoo come Elk season over around China Meadows. I know I take part in it every year. I drew the early season deer tag that goes along with the Elk season. Lots of places to camp, just try to go up early on Friday if you can, and be prepared for all weather conditions. I have seen it any where from -5 below (at 7am) and 2 feet of snow to a balmy 36-38 degrees and nice (430am). and then mixed conditions. Watch you weather and plan accordingly. And enjoy it some very beautiful country up there.

Agree with all that is posted. Elk hunted the NS last season and saw plenty of elk, but also plenty of people. If you are willing to veer from the beaten path a bit it should help. There is plenty of water up that way so pay attention to watering holes with near by aspen cover as I noticed plenty of rutting action within areas such as this.

Back