Yeti GOBOX Collection

elk in unit 704

Just drew either sex elk tag! i have hunted in custer national forrest the past two seasons for mule deer, but not elk.anyone have any tips?

Be prepared for lots of people. Do as much scouting as you can, but realize that you may think you have an area to yourself, but people will show up everywhere. Road less areas can be hard to find, but they are out there. Pretty limited tag so not like thousands of people show up, but where the people are at is generally where the elk are at. The elk herd is doing very well, but most of them can be found on private land, and very hard to gain access on any private. The best time to hunt is right around opener if you can locate a bull you want stick with him, they tend to leave fairly quickly once opener hits. Great tag to have though and best of luck.

Get permission on a place that has alfalfa for early season (very difficult). Once they leave private they disperse and become very hard to find on public.

I thought long and hard about 704, but since it is so far east and I only have one weekend for a scouting trip I decided to pass. I talked to the biologist and he said you just have to get out, glass, move, glass, move, glass and move again and glass.

They're there, just hard to find. Once you find them though it is fairly easy to stay on them unless they go private.

Thanks for all the advise was there last year ran into elk but didnt have a tag. Its tough to find the elk going to try and take two weeks for elk and deer in custer this year. Dont want a hard tag to draw go to waste.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back