Elk hunting Idaho Question

FishForSmallies

I have never been elk hunting before, but just got back from a visiting a sister in Idaho and now I feel the need to hunt some of that beautiful country one time in my life.

I had the chance to see some of the area around Riggins and up past Grangeville. Loved it!

I would like to hunt either the Clearwater Region first, or the Southwest Region. I am just beginning to do my research, and would like any advice I could get on a do-it-yourself trip for two to these areas.

My buddy and I are both fairly young and in very good shape, and want a place we can hike in a ways to camp and hunt. I know that nobody wants to give away there best places and wouldn't ask you too, but if you could point us towards some decent elk country we would be tickled to death.

Were looking to hunt in either 2009 or 2010 if possible, so if we need to apply for preference points for a given area we would need to get started next year.

Thanks - Brian

There are non-resident elk, deer & bear tags available over the counter with a cap on total sales. The "draw" hunts are, for now, purely random-no preference points.

The thing with elk in Idaho is you can hunt archery, rifle or blackpowder, cows only, spikes only, antlered only. Backcountry, "roaded" areas, etc. You also have to pick your unit, and then pick your tag-A or B. A tags usually offer more opportunity for archery hunts with cow hunts for muzz/rifle. B tags usually limit archery but allow antlered hunting with a rifle.

You really need to get an idea of the type of country (desert, mtns, backcountry, etc) you want to hunt, and then what type of weapon, and if you are looking for "any elk" or want a branch antlered bull. You narrow it down a bit and you will get some more specific advice.

Thanks for your response!

We would be looking to hunt branch antlered bulls with either rifle or muzzleoader, whichever would put us in the better area.

Would like to hunt anywhere in the Clearwater Region that would give us a reasonable chance at getting a bull without tripping over someone with each step. I know its very big country, but we don't mind hiking our way in a good distance, we just need an idea where to hike to.

For what it is worth, here are a few pics I took last week. Would love to hunt any areas that resemble this kind of country. Not sure where the first one was taken, but the next two were somewhere above Grangeville, which would have put us in the Clearwater Region, in either zone 10A or 11A.

5555copy.jpg

Not exactly sure of your location. Lots of units right in that area. Unit 10A offers an A tag with any elk archery during Sept and muzz/short range weapons for spike or antlerless during late Nov. The B tag offers spike or antlerless during archery but any weapon antlered only during Oct. Unit 11A has a slightly different season, as does unit 10.

Look up the Idaho Fish and Game website to review the elk "zones" in the area and what they offer.

I don't think you will find an easy to draw or over the counter bull tag where there isn't alot of people. The only way to avoid the crowds is hunt spikes or cows or draw a hard to get tag or get at least a couple miles from the roads.

Don't waste your time with 11A for elk. There really aren't that many elk in the unit for one and the other issue with 11A is its probably around 90% private land. The private stuff can be hard to get on, even personally knowing the landowners. 10A has elk, my family has hunted it for about 20 years now. The biggest issues with 10A is lots of roads, lots of people, lots of overgrown timber. We still kill elk in 10A, but it is mainly due to intimate knowledge of the country we're hunting.

If I had to guess I'd say the first picture is the lower Salmon river, and the next two are probably the South Fork of the Clearwater.

If I was starting green I'd look at picking up an Elk City zone tag, if for no other reason than the options it gives a person on country to hunt. You can do the easy access thing or more remote depending on your desires. The other better option in my opinion would be to hunt somewhere other than the clearwater. The entire clearwater region (other than a few localized areas) is dealing with low elk numbers currently, whereas some of the country farther south like the Slamon region, McCall, etc. is still producing more elk.

TheTone, I just looked at a map and you are right about the first picture. The second two were taken just within 15 miles or so of Grangeville, I thought to the east, but I could be wrong.

If I can ask you one more question on the area, what do you think of zones 20A, 25, and 26? These would put me further south in the area east of McCall. From what I could tell on the Idaho F&G site, they don't seem to be too heavily hunted. Not many elk, hard to draw, or just hard to hunt?

Thanks again

That’s some beautiful country; just don't expect it to look so... ahhhh.... green during muzzle/rifle season...

Every thing is turning shades of yellows and gold with the smell of fall in the air, more than likely with white starting to appear on the mountains in the backgrounds...

Times have changed in Idaho. Once upon a time, the Northern portion of the state was THE place to hunt elk in the west. I can remember the area around Elk City back in the day. You'd see plates from everywhere in the country, literally. And lots of dead Elk in those camps. These days, due to many factors, I believe the southern half of the state is the better choice for a DIY hunter. I even heard unit 39 of all places has been the top producer in terms of elk harvested the past few years. Not sure if that is true, but i can without doubt tell you there are a shit load of elk in the unit.
Just through personal observation I believe elk hunting in my neck of the woods (south central Idaho) is pretty much off the hook. Has been now for a number of years. I go deer hunting, I see elk. I go bear hunting, i see elk. I go sage hen hunting in the middle of the God-forsaken desert, I see elk. Most importantly I go elk hunting I see elk! My guess is you would too if you decided to do so.

I hunted up above Elk River last year and in 10A the year before, after being away (Military) for 12 years ID has changed and in some ways not for the better. At the time 10A had an over run of wolves and very few elk to be seen, tracks were at least 2wks old and no fresh sign. Didn't even see any deer nor hear any shots...not sure if the Elk moved further into the back country or totally out of the area. My brother lives in Kamiah and he talked so some of his buddies that hunt and that year was a very bad year for elk, not many taken that year.
Last year up in Elk river there was sign and we did see one calf but with all the logging and helicopters flying around there wasn't much for the 1 week I was allotted for the hunt, did see alot of deer and moose but no Bull Elk to be had.
Even though I didn't fill my tags either year it didn't matter cause I had fun being able to get back with family and catch up on happenings while I was away.

I live in Utah we have some of the best elk out there but everything worth anything is a very difficult draw. You can count on ten years of building up points before you have a slim chance of drawing. I do all of my serious elk hunting in SE Idaho I love bow hunting there are good opportunities the hunt mature bulls in Idaho on the over the counter tags last year My camp took three 6x6 bulls 1 scored around 360. not bad for over the counter

In my aged opinion, southern Idaho is a better place to hunt elk if you need medium to rough terrain. Hunters' numbers are climbing, but there are still good hunting opportunities available for solo hunters.

A word to the wise for the new Idaho elk hunter. If you fill your tag, do not leave the processing and removal chores until the next morning. Wolves are always present. Just this last season, a young hunter shot a 6x6 bull elk but left the animal lay until the next morning. During the night I could hear wolves howling as they devoured the bull.

@TheTone he must be talking to you, your only one still alive from this old thread. I hope you make sure to heed his wolf warnings..lol
16 1/2 year old thread resurrection! I pretty much hunt in constant fear of wolves. Always good to have a reminder though

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back