Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Elk Hunt recap. Colorado 1st season

Eyeguy

Here is a write up that I did about my first season colorado rifle hunt....and about elk hunting in general. The format copied and pasted a little weird but you get the just of it. Hope you enjoy.
Steve

“The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom.” - Teddy Roosevelt

Mountains. I have never really understood my affinity for the mountains. For someone born basically at sea level, I am surprisingly at home in the back country. 6 miles in, and 9 thousand feet up. They call to me. I don’t question it. Nothing is easy. Everything is magnified. There is something amazing about packing 8 days worth of gear and food into a pack and pounding the trail to be back away from everything.... except the vast, open expanses. The farther in you get the better are the views. Nearly half of the west is comprised of public lands.... lands owned by all of us. Enjoy them. Respect them. Protect them!

Burning your legs for 30 minutes to crawl straight up a face that allows you to see for miles. Every foot of elevation gained is earned. These kind of views can’t be bought. They are paid for through sweat equity and preparation. Being a western hunter, success is a mixed blessing.

I never take killing an animal lightly. It means a year worth of clean, organic protein. The best on the planet. A few moments should be spent in quiet respect and admiration. It also means miles of pain. An 80-90 pound load of meat is miserable.... and strangely enjoyable all at once.

The bugle that a bull makes is unlike anything else in nature. You feel it clear down deep in your bones. It can literally ring out for miles. These animals have every advantage in this terrain.

There is no greater sense of accomplishment then packing out a 6-point bull on your back. No greater way to forge a bond with a friend who is there every step of the way. The meat is well taken care of and always goes down first... the antlers last. The animal to always be honored and respected. Those that have never done it or don’t care to do it... don’t understand. Sometimes it can be down right grueling while you are experiencing it but you always look back on a trip in the backcountry with a sense of admiration. It clears your mind and cleanses your soul. I cannot wait to go back.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back