Elk Bullet

250 T-EZ Barns

P1010790.jpg

P1010791.jpg

Two shots, the broadside was a pass through, and this one piled up under the off side shoulder blade. Still weighed 248.1

Yeah X2, skip the PB!!!! Total junk, when the lead flattens dramatically just by dropping it, imagine what it does when it hits an elk rib bone? Id say it depends on where you hunt, and the regs you must abide by when it comes to what the best bullet is. That being said, its also important to place accuracy at the top of the list. Some guns just dont agree with certain bullets/sabots. I only hunt in CO for ML elk, and i usually use a 54cal roundballer, ive seen elk downed with Harvester Sabertooth 300/350gr, Hornady FPB/ Great Plains, T/C Maxiball, and of course roundballs!!!

Good answer. PBs are pure crap. I have had them fail on deer and would not dream of shooting an elk with one unless I was using one of their solids.

I killed one elk with a Harvester hard-cast sabot bullet and two with .58 caliber Lyman Minnie balls out of a replica 1853 Enfield. I like to throw big pieces of lead at big animals.

Another bullet to look at is the Hornady FPB 350gr. They are a 50 cal bullet with no sabot. We have killed several elk with these bullets and they seem to work great. the last two elk I have shot with the FPB's were at 125yds with both being a complete pass throughs. They shoot great out of my Knight MK85 and my son's TC Omega.

I use the Barnes and have had good success, however, I hate their tsx that didn't expand for spit out of my 7mm-08. I assume you have checked Utah regs about what equip you can use. The bh209 is a smart choice.

I use the Barnes and have had good success, however, I hate their tsx that didn't expand for spit out of my 7mm-08. I assume you have checked Utah regs about what equip you can use. The bh209 is a smart choice.

What weight bullets were you using? Barnes recommends using lighter than normal bullets, and load them fast.

I have been using 140 gr. TSX bullets in my .280 rem, running around 3100 fps and they have been great.

I have to agree, no PB's, lost a cow 2 years ago, about a 49 yrd shot. Coyotes got to her before I could, was not impressed at all.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back