Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Electric winch vs hydraulic

sacountry

I'm in the market for a winch for my 1/2 ton. Wondering if hydraulic winches are worth the price. I'm leaning towards an electric winch, specifically the Smittybilt X20 or the Weston Superwinch. Seems like the hydraulic units start about $1000 above the cost of those two. Worth it or no?

Hydraulic winches are awesome but that would require a good source of power like a PTO coming off a transmission or a belt driven pump. A 12v hydraulic pump powering a winch would likely be really really slow.
I may be misunderstanding but even though the cost of the winch is only 1k more I think the pump, plumbing, etc will be a lot more than running cables from the battery.

What were you planning to power the hydraulic winch?

Hydraulic winches are awesome but that would require a good source of power like a PTO coming off a transmission or a belt driven pump. A 12v hydraulic pump powering a winch would likely be really really slow.
I may be misunderstanding but even though the cost of the winch is only 1k more I think the pump, plumbing, etc will be a lot more than running cables from the battery.

What were you planning to power the hydraulic winch?
I hadn't thought all of that fully through. I was thinking if I went hydraulic that I'd have someone else install it = more cash out of pocket.

Back to the differences, I've been told by most that hydraulic wont burn up and will last a lot longer over electric.....but we needs a lifetime winch on a vehicle which you don't own for a lifetime? Has to be something more to the value proposition.

I hadn't thought all of that fully through. I was thinking if I went hydraulic that I'd have someone else install it = more cash out of pocket.

Back to the differences, I've been told by most that hydraulic wont burn up and will last a lot longer over electric.....but we needs a lifetime winch on a vehicle which you don't own for a lifetime? Has to be something more to the value propositio
The difference is not so much the winch itself but the power used for the winch. A hydraulic winch will likely require 5-10k in parts/labor to actually run the winch. Where the electric is just running cables.

I've used them in logging and they are awesome though. But not practical for a typical pickup.

The difference is not so much the winch itself but the power used for the winch. A hydraulic winch will likely require 5-10k in parts/labor to actually run the winch. Where the electric is just running cables.

I've used them in logging and they are awesome though. But not practical for a typical pickup.
Thanks. That clears it up for me right there.

I suggest not getting a cheap electric winch.
I have a 2500lb Warne atv winch on my 1/2 ton for firewood and such. It will almost pull my truck around.
The cables to reach the hitches cost. I'm adding a inline circuit breaker. And will just get a full size Warne in future.
I had a hydraulic on my F250 and it weighed a ton.

Seriously, unless you are hard core wheeling or using it for work, there is no reason to buy a stupid expensive winch. I wheel a lot and I have entry level warn winch, a tabor winch, a smitty built and the Badlands winch from Harbor freight. In all my years wheeling/off-roading (over 20) I have only need a winch a handful of times. As a result I see absolutely no reason to pay extra for a name when the Badlands, Smitty builts both work very well. Now if you have a rig and every weekend you are beating the snot out of it on the trails then get the higher end unit.

THe biggest factor when using a winch is heat control. The electricty needed to turn a winch is a lot, electric motors moving slow build a ton of heat. The Badlands winch does great but will get hot (they all will). So if you need to winch do not get in a hurry let the winch rest and any winch with the proper rating will do the job. Oh and as a general rule you want a winch that is rated at least 1.5 times the vehicles GVWR. I prefer to push that to 2xs when ever possible as the cost typically for the same winch in a higher rating is not that much different.

Lastly, cable vs rope. Again if you are pulling a ton and often the rope is worth the price. If you think you might use the winch 1-2 times a year stick with the cable to save

Harbor Freights Badlands winch in the 12,000lb range is a dang good buy. Shockingly enough.
The Harbor Freight winches have been really good for years. They are a little slow and they build heat, but when you need them they work fine and treat them right they last.

I have a Warn electric on my Bronco but It's a seldom thing I am ever in a spot where I need to use it. But the times I have it's been a life saver. It seems whatever we get to add to our toys, we always get more than we need! Of course, if you are over adventurous you might often find yourself in a spot where you need more. It's a trait that cause's problems when your young and most of us finally outgrow! Over the younger years of my life my 4x4's have got me into more trouble than my wench ever got me out of!

The Harbor Freight winches have been really good for years. They are a little slow and they build heat, but when you need them they work fine and treat them right they last.
I've seen lots of food in the desert jeep clubs that love these winches

I run a Smittybilt X20 on my F250. Last elk season I high-centered my truck and an 18-ft equipment trailer 300 yards into a 400 yard wet snowdrift. There was NO daylight under the truck or trailer. I hooked to two trucks parked outside the drift and the winch drug my truck and trailer through the last 100 yards...high-centered the whole way. I don't use it often, but when I need it it seems to work well. I don't know what more you would be hoping for from a winch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back