Caribou Gear

Easy Backpacking Meals On A Budget

Big Fin, there was a suggestion (YT comments section) of a food freeze-dryer for the office that your whole crew could use. No pressure! Just curious if anyone investigated further? I do know that good units aren't cheap, so for a group setting, it might be a better fit financially. I think they are tough, financially, for most individuals.

I have found the foil-pack tuna, salmon and chicken to be a good component to incorporate with other items. Day-hike and otherwise. A small pack of your favorite crackers and something to drink and they are a great lunch snack, too.

Coffee. I haven't found an instant that I really "like". I will drink one, as the warmth is good, especially on a cold morning. I also take along individual pack, sugar-free, hot chocolate mix. I can tolerate the instant coffee flavor, either with some of the mix added or with the two combined, better than without. Still, this is more of an "emergency" solution.

If I'm going to drink coffee at all, it is hard to ditch some sort of brewed coffee. I can grind enough from fresh beans ahead of time and carry minimal added "hardware" to deal with the brewing process. So, that is still my preferred answer. A minor "luxury", assuming enough time, water and a heat source to boil the water.

Breakfast. Eggs. I like eggs, but I'm not going to carry fresh eggs into the back country. I will carry dehydrated eggs and make scrambled eggs, if I'm carrying the cooking equipment. Dehydrated onion, peppers, etc. are great to add into them.

Instant oatmeal. Others noted great options here. I will add my support. If I'm only going to boil water, i.e., not "cook", this can work for me for a few days. Bring some raisins, cinnamon, banana, to add some flavor, etc. Powered milk too.

Coffee. I haven't found an instant that I really "like". I will drink one, as the warmth is good, especially on a cold morning. I also take along individual pack, sugar-free, hot chocolate mix. I can tolerate the instant coffee flavor, either with some of the mix added or with the two combined, better than without. Still, this is more of an "emergency" solution.

If I'm going to drink coffee at all, it is hard to ditch some sort of brewed coffee. I can grind enough from fresh beans ahead of time and carry minimal added "hardware" to deal with the brewing process. So, that is still my preferred answer. A minor "luxury", assuming enough time, water and a heat source to boil the water.
I’m with you, coffee is something that I’m not willing to cut loose of. If you have a Trader Joe’s handy, they make an “instant cold brewed” coffee that is head and shoulders above any other instant coffee I’ve found.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back