Caribou Gear Tarp

Duck Calls???

Elk Turd

So I ran into this guy duck hunting last weekend. We started talking about calling for ducks, and I said I don't do much because too many people call. He said he calls constantly and get's the birds in.

He said that the $15 to $30 type over the counter calls suck. The don't have the correct tone, and just don't have the volume.

He showed me, and demonstrated a few $100+ calls, and even a novice like me could tell the difference.

This guy went to college for "Duckology" and know a ton about the hows and whys of ducks.

Just wanted to hear what other people thought?!?!?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>So I ran into this guy duck hunting last weekend. We started talking about calling for ducks, and I said I don't do much because too many people call. He said he calls constantly and get's the birds in.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I think that sums it up right there. Personally, I think that bad calling does more harm than good. In the field is no time to practice. If you are good at calling then you know how to "talk" with ducks and you can call all day. The rest of us need to use more self control or we condition the birds. Like you said, too man people call (that really should not be).

I'm one of those in between guys, only using a few calls I can do well. I like the simple single "happy quack" and feeder calls. My hail and come back calls leave something to be desired and I have noticed flaring if I try too hard with them.

As for cheapies vs. quality calls, I think it is good to learn on a lower price call. You'll do fine with those $30 range calls in the field as well. The more expensive calls do have better tones and rasp.

I think the bottom line is If you really listen to a group of mallards there is a great deal of distinction between the specific calls of each duck, and more expensive calls can imitate those nuances better. But to make general sounding calls you can do fine with a cheapy.

I have tried those higher priced calls and would love to own one, but still do well with my $30 Primos...even with only passable calling skills.

My .02¢

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-06-2002 10:46: Message edited by: azuho ]</font>

Thanks for the info!

I know just because a call costs more, practice is still needed. I have spent a lot of time listening to tapes, waves on the net, people that know how to call, trying to figure out how to do it. My calling isn't great by any means, so I shy away from it out in the field.

I guess it's like anything else, practice!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Duck Calls

My self I use my old Grand father call that may have cost him $1.00

A waterfowl audio cassette or a instructional CD will help you get started.
But the best way is just to get out listen to ducks.

No one calls the same, no one sounds the same. NO duck sounds the same or calls the same, Its what makes you happy.

Do not try to learn all the sounds a once , pick two and stay with them. The two that I like is Quack and the feeding call. Then in a year add other sound

If you live in a area were you can go to Bass Pro or Cabela’s and try before you buy

Most young hunters. I like to start them out on a PS OLT Call ( The bad thing is there stated to go up in price) Its now a Collectible

The other calls that are great to get stated with are Haydel , Duck Commander and Big River

--------------------
Arizona Waterfowl Hunter
http://members.cox.net/azwaterfowl/
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hope that helps

Delw

I use the primos calls. (The Original Wench and the Madam) They seem to work ok. They just don't have the depth or raspy sound to them.

It is kind of funny even as far as feeding chuckles go. No one does those the same either!

I have a couple of goose calls, one is a shaved reed and the other is a short reed call. Those both were around $20 and sound awesome!

Kind of interesting on what other people use!

JMO, but if you want to get ducks, get out there and see where the ducks want to be. A $150 dollar call doesn't make ducks fall from the sky. If ducks are in the area, toot some notes and get their attention, when they head your way shut up and get ready. If they pass you by, hit the call again and bring them back. I have seen plenty of people flare ducks with a call when they were already coming in. I am sure there are some good callers out there that will say I am wrong, but in this part of the country it is not brain surgery.

Summary, even the best spread and best caller won't suck in ducks to where they don't want to be. On the other hand, I have been standing up, yelling at the dog and having ducks trying to land in the dekes when it is a place they want to be.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back