Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Drug dealers the reason for Salmon kill

Nut, I think it's significant that there were no survivors. Had it been a natural disaster, there would have been some surviviors. I tend to go along with the induced poisons theory. It only takes a small amount of concentrated sulphuric or hydrochloric acid to change the ph of the water significantly. If you combine that with concentrated levels of ether and CTC, you are going to kill some shit... The fish could have had gill rot and that could be a contributing factor. Just think of the pressure that would be brought to bare on the local law enforcement folks, if it was determined that drug labs killed that many fish? I don't think any of the higherups would survive that... and rightfully so..

cool.gif

That's logic talkin' WH.. Now consider all of the Greenies up in that part of the world, and their reaction to a newspaper headline that read

"22,000 SALMON KILLED BY WASTE FROM DRUG LAB. SHERIFF DOES NOTHING."

How long would it be before they have PETA, HSUS, Greenpeace, the Rev. Al Sharpton, Mrs. Jesse Jackson, Today TV, and Bozo the Clown trying to bring pressure to bare on the local authorities? Remeber, you can't use logic.....

cool.gif

mmm as I am not a scientist I dont know what half that stuff is. Do they have any tests done of the water before the kill off? Could it be possble that the water would have and could have shown the same levels? If they had some results that show that there was none before I might give it more creditablity.

Nut, From what I read, the only testing they did to the water was 7 days after the die off. A lot of water moves through a river in 7 days. The fact that they found some paraphenalia partially submerged in one spot, makes me suspicious about what they would have found had they looked over the entire bank. Then the deputy's statement that there were "probably a hundred lads up and down that river"... tells me that they know it's going on, but for some reason are unable or unwilling to intervene.

Of course it's easy to sit here and speculate. I don't know the area and have no idea about the politics of that county. Could be that one of the labs belongs to the Mayor....
cool.gif

If the water was conatminated could the survivors have just went to another area? Are they conatined or limited to where they can go? I have plenty of questions because the articles always leave out all the facts(if they are facts indeed)

LOL the mayor hahahaha(I liked that one)
biggrin.gif

Nut, I don't know that answer for sure, but I would doubt it. Salmon at spawning are kind of like women and thier favorite shopping malls. They are going up stream to spawn and nothing and nowhere else will do. When they start, they either make it or die trying. So I would have to speculate that there were no surviviors...

Danr, you're wrong about salmon only heading to spawning grounds in the straightest shot. They go up and down rivers other than the ones they spawn in. In fact, I read an extensive study done and I was amazed how much salmon move up and down rivers before they spawn. They arent sure exactly why they move around so much...

But, when they are in the final stages of spawning, they are one stop from dead and dont have the energy to move very far.

Buzz, I'd read that they will "wander" during the time period before the spawn, but their last stop was always the stream or river that was imprinted. It maybe that there is new or different research that has drawn other conclusions. I am not aware of any. Thanks for the info.

Do you think that any of the fish from this ill fated group swam away and spawned/died elsewhere??
cool.gif

Danr, I honestly dont know...

But, I doubt every salmon was in the river system when the spill happened. They dont all hit the rivers at the same time.

I'd need a lot more details than those provided...is it an on-going problem, was it a one time spill. Theres not much substantiated information in there.

Hard telling not knowing for sure.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-23-2003 12:26: Message edited by: BuzzH ]</font>

Now that you nmention it, I was presuming that all of the fish that died were in various stages of entry to the spawning grounds and that the myterious die off occurred all up and down the river. It doesn't really say that. So, I guess anything could have happened.... You're right. Not enough info to draw any solid conclusions....

cool.gif

I wonder if a slightly opened container upstream that was leaking pollutant into the water wouldn't create a prolonged death to all that ventured into the water and was affected by this stuff...

Back