Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Don’t torch your spot

Attachments

• BF36FE48-3AE4-4BF5-B6EE-2AB7A9FAD8F4.jpeg
    BF36FE48-3AE4-4BF5-B6EE-2AB7A9FAD8F4.jpeg
    421.9 KB · Views: 71
I watched a general unit spot I had in my back pocket go up in flames on facebook today. Several hundred likes and the guy names the exact drainage. I thought about saying something, but is it even worth confronting? The spot is already toast and I doubt the poster changes his behavior based on anything I have to say online.

Dumphuks. I try to avoid FB but every once in a while I find myself on it to buy/sell or look for info in groups that isn't always widely available on the internet. While sitting on the throne today i got sidetracked from my intended inquiry onto a western hunting group. I quickly realized that I would be more of a crabby ass than I already am if I scrolled through that shit every day.

Last edited:
I learned my lesson this year. Had several guys here tell me they knew right where I was just based on my camp pic.

I hunted all over the damn unit though. Didn’t see any elk in camp.

Where there are hardly any elk, and 9 days out of 10, even when you know the area like the back of your hand, you are not gonna see a single elk.

And .. you can’t glass from a vehicle - you have to walk a few miles before you get to start looking.

Weeds people out..
Isn't that the truth...

I think people have no idea how easy it is to do this these days. Not gonna lie I've done it before and been successful on a hard to draw elk tag. Small things within photos can give a spot away quickly.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned GPS coordinates being recorded in your photo information. I had no clue, to remedy this is it as easy as turning off your location services, or is it more in depth?

Sometimes during the off-season I'll just try and see if I can peg down some of the spots that the Youtubers are posting. I've never been to any of their spots that I have found, but I'd say I have at least a dozen pins courtesy of the influencers. It's just fun to me I guess?

While we are on this topic of torching spots can I just say STOP posting pics to online forums with the geotag attached to the photo information. I had a buddy a few years back share photos of our elk hunt with a bunch of his hunting friends... all the pics had geotagged information. The campsite location, the elk, and the kill site all given away. We all work our butts off to find honey holes. Take a minute and do all you can to protect those spots... but then again OnX gives away all my pins to elkshape and the BRO's haha
Wait a second, first dirt bikes in non motorized areas and now this.

#wesellhardwork
#buyallmymerch

I wonder if a multi generational WY videographer may have torched his mule deer hot spot now with the recent court ruling on corner crossing?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back