DIY Float Resources

CubsFan

Looking for books or any other resources for planning float trips. Not so much the logistics of the trips in general but put in and take out spots, camping spots, water class, fishing info etc for specific rivers. The more area covered the better but I am most interested in the Northwest.

While we are at it I am moving from Colorado to Idaho so any suggested resources on Idaho fishing in general?

Are you looking for resources for permitted rivers or just river access in Idaho, MT, WA, OR in general? Most permitted rivers have excellent guides that are completely worth picking up.

Also call the local guides and shops. They will have real time info.

I bought a copy of the book “ Idaho Whitewater” when I lived there. It was good, but is really dated now, unless there is an updated version. ID has to be the top state for river trips.

Are you looking for resources for permitted rivers or just river access in Idaho, MT, WA, OR in general? Most permitted rivers have excellent guides that are completely worth picking up.

I don't even know much about the whole permit system for rivers. Mainly looking for a generalized guide to give me ideas of trips near me that I could then dig into the specifics with other more specific resources like you suggested with the river guides. For example I would want to start out with relatively tame options so a book that could help guide you towards what is available there. I did find this available at a library that I will check out "Kath & Ron's Guide to Idaho Paddling: Flatwater & Easy Whitewater Trips".

I bought a copy of the book “ Idaho Whitewater” when I lived there. It was good, but is really dated now, unless there is an updated version. ID has to be the top state for river trips.

Do you have any recommendation for sections of rivers in Idaho or surrounding? Targeted towards someone starting out.

Thanks for the replies all!

Do you have any recommendation for sections of rivers in Idaho or surrounding? Targeted towards someone starting out.

Thanks for the replies all!
I’m not familiar with Kath and Ron’s book, but is sounds like it is right up your alley if you are starting out. Where are you located in Idaho? People tube the Boise river in town. Do you have a raft? If you want to fish, I would check out the South Fork Snake below Palisade Reservoir and the Henry’s Fork. Lots of fish in those rivers and they have easy sections. Keep in mind that mello rivers get more technical during runoff. If you can find someone with experience to show you the basics, it will speed up the learning process greatly. Other mello rivers that have good fishing are the Clearwater for fall steelhead and the Salmon river between challis and the town of salmon in the spring for steelhead. The boise has some decent trout fishing also.

Where in Idaho are you moving? It's a long way from Idaho Falls to the St. Joe, so geography matters a bit. Don't forget the NRS is HQ'd in Moscow, ID so if you have questions regarding rafting, they could be a great resource.

Thanks all. I'm moving to Pocatello so southeast ID. I have a pretty crappy personal pontoon now but plan to upgrade to a frameless inflatable raft.

I haven't rafted much in Idaho, but the recreation.gov site has loads of information on any federally managed permitted river. Just search in the area around where you are located. We were lucky enough to pull the main Salmon permit three summers ago and had a blast. Luckily Idaho has some of the best whitewater in the lower 48 if you are in to that. I would recommend getting into a cheaper inflatable kayak if you are just getting into water sports before investing in a full blown raft.

As far as guidebooks, this bad boy,

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Whit...ng+guide+book&qid=1552517238&s=gateway&sr=8-5

has been a really great resource we use to plan rafting trips with.

We did the Smith River in MT last summer and it was a great trip. Also, the Blackfoot just outside of Missoula was a fun overnight trip.

Back