Caribou Gear Tarp

DIY Canada

WBouldin

Wont be doing this anytime soon but was just curious as to how easy it is to hunt Canada? Some of these Alberta mulies and whitetail look really appealing as well as the waterfowl. Anybody done it before?

I have hunted the past two years DIY in Ontario for deer. As a noneresadent you can only hunt in some areas with out a guide. I think Alberta is guided for nonresadent but you can look in to semi guided trips.

A friend of mine did a DIY caribou hunt in Ontario. Basically, he had to buy his license through an outfitter and pay him a small fee to be considered a 'client'.

I know the hunting was tough and they couldn't get any local info as to where the migration was.

dustinf, I don't think your friend was hunting in Ontario, as I don't believe they have a caribou season. Then again, maybe that is why he didn't get much cooperation about the migration.:eek: Knute

dustinf, I don't think your friend was hunting in Ontario, as I don't believe they have a caribou season. Then again, maybe that is why he didn't get much cooperation about the migration.:eek: Knute

That probably means he was in Quebec, and my simple mind was confused.

Dreamhunter,

How have you gone on the self guided hunts in ontario? Animals seen, location habitat etc? Certainly nice to look at all the options for non residents in both your country and north of the border.

cheers

get rules and regs book. some areas you can hunt some you cant. northestern ontario not a lot of deer but good deer 130 to 150 class if you hold out. lots of creeks and pine its big woods. its a public land hunt cant wate for this years trip.

IIRC BC is guided only for non Canadians, not sure if Alberta is the same way or not.

Mule deer are guided hunts only for whitetail you can have an Alberta resident ( friend or relative) apply for a hunter host licence but absolutly no monitary gain can take place. ;)

get rules and regs book. some areas you can hunt some you cant. northestern ontario not a lot of deer but good deer 130 to 150 class if you hold out. lots of creeks and pine its big woods. its a public land hunt cant wate for this years trip.

Dreamhunter do you know if the non resident alien rule in Ontario is the same for a citizen of the lower 48 as it is of somebody from Australia? I enjoy the self guided hunts, and certainly be good to have an option up there next time i am over hunting.

I will try to have a look at their website and regs.

You got any pictures from your hunts up there?

cheers

i think they are the some if you are non resident or non resident alian. but i wood talk to them first. you do have to get a gun pemit at the border for your gun going in to canada. have the paper work filled out just do NOT signe it tell they tell you to. do have pictures just donot know how get them on hear for every one to injoy. computer dum.

Ok, thanks dreamhunter, i will read up.

I have a heap of elk and deer preference points in a few different states and seeing though it is a long journey from Australia to come self guided on these animals, i am looking to add another hunt on somewhere for a species that i can do on my own.

Certainly sounds interesting.

Thanks.

I am an outfitter in Alberta. You have to pay for a guided hunt for deer here. Waterfowl you can do on your own but it will not really be all that cost effective unless you are just going to have fun and not too worried about hunting that great of hunts. The outfitters have a lot of the good fields spotted and tied up days in advance of shooting them. Being that you have to spot and if you were to get a shoot every time you spotted you would still only get to hunt one shoot in a day. So you can come up and hunt with a good guide and shoot 5 shoots in 3 days and come home or spend 10 days of scouting and hunting and if your lucky get 5 shoots in. Other things to think about is your only allowed a possesion limit of 3x your limit. It is a lot of expense to haul a trailer full of decoys up to shoot 24 geese and 24 ducks.

If you were to try it your best way of doing things is to rent a van and pull a trailer up and rent a truck once you get here. Bring 5 guys to split costs and take turns spotting and hunting. Each hunter is in charge of one hunt so to speak. Just a thought but with a few guys at least the costs will make it worth it and you can save some money.

If you thinking of a guided hunt I can help you out with that but I am full allready for next year. I am just collecting some deposits to finalize things and should know in a month if there are any spots left or not.

If you have any questions to help you out if your trying on your own then send me a PM and I can answer a few questions for you.

I see this is a rather old thread, but I have not been a member here for very long. I live in Vermont, only 1 mile from the Quebec border. My experience hunting in Canada : 15 years DIY Saskatchewan waterfowl, 2 years DIY fall Quebec Caribou, 2 years DIY winter caribou (COLD !!!) Quebec, 8 years DIY Ontario Whitetail, 3 years DIY Quebec Whitetail, many years DIY Quebec waterfowl. Maybe I can help someone out.

A lot of people would probably be interested in a DIY moose hunt if it's possible in Canada. I know in Ontario you can buy tags from outfitters and do like a diy/drop camp type thing with a lot of them and Quebec has a portion of the province that you don't need a guide and you can buy moose tags but I think there is some quirk were it has to be two hunters for one tag but not positive on that. Other than that I always thought most of the Canadian diy hunts are were you go trough the outfitter to buy the tag and have to pay a little extra to them, almost like a tresspass fee in the states for hunting their area. Not sure on access either as I'm sure that'd have to be looked into also.

The caribou hunts are the drop camp/DIY type hunts with the purchase of tags from the outfitter. The Ontario and Quebec whitetail deer hunts are completely DIY if you want to do it that way. Just buy your tags OTC. The Quebec moose hunts vary from zone to zone. Some zones require two or more hunters to burn their tags on one animal. The French language can be a bit of a problem at times in Quebec. There is an Outfitters Show at Palais des Congres, Montreal January 30 - February 2, 2014.

I am an outfitter in Alberta. You have to pay for a guided hunt for deer here. Waterfowl you can do on your own but it will not really be all that cost effective unless you are just going to have fun and not too worried about hunting that great of hunts. The outfitters have a lot of the good fields spotted and tied up days in advance of shooting them. Being that you have to spot and if you were to get a shoot every time you spotted you would still only get to hunt one shoot in a day. So you can come up and hunt with a good guide and shoot 5 shoots in 3 days and come home or spend 10 days of scouting and hunting and if your lucky get 5 shoots in. Other things to think about is your only allowed a possesion limit of 3x your limit. It is a lot of expense to haul a trailer full of decoys up to shoot 24 geese and 24 ducks.

If you were to try it your best way of doing things is to rent a van and pull a trailer up and rent a truck once you get here. Bring 5 guys to split costs and take turns spotting and hunting. Each hunter is in charge of one hunt so to speak. Just a thought but with a few guys at least the costs will make it worth it and you can save some money.

If you thinking of a guided hunt I can help you out with that but I am full allready for next year. I am just collecting some deposits to finalize things and should know in a month if there are any spots left or not.

If you have any questions to help you out if your trying on your own then send me a PM and I can answer a few questions for you.

Are there options for like “semi-guided” hunts. Like give me a place to stay a map
and some suggestions on where to start. I am an extremely private person, otherwise known as an introvert. I’m sure we get along fine, but having to get to know someone and deal with a new relationship is very taxing for people like me. I would love the opportunity to explore some of Canada chasing animals, but would much prefer to do it with a buddy or 2 and mostly DIY if possible. And it isn’t just a cost thing, I just would prefer to do it on my own.

Lots of Americans come up to hunt waterfowl and pheasants. DIY. The guided white tail and mule deer hunts are very expensive. Cheaper to go to Namiba and hunt kudu! Non resident aliens are not allowed to get into the draws and can not hunt by themselves.

Lots of these bird hunters are very much experts in the game and do very well, indeed. I was on a shoot with 7 Americans on snowgeese when the limit was 20 birds each. With their electronic callers and 800 decoys etc ... we stopped at 157 to make sure we did not go over the limit. They were not having to pay a guide $800 a day or whatever. But if it is a holiday and a person has a couple of extra grand (and if the borders were not shut) - a perfect stress free way to have a fabulous experience! It is all good!

Quebec has a lot of semi guided-guided. Or at least have to book through a guide. A Boyce a certain latitude.
Ontario you need a guide for bear, moose, not sure about deer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back