Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Dillon MT, area 325,329,331 or Flathead Co

SERENate

I'm taking 4 days off mid Sept to bow hunt elk.

I'm in Whitefish and just have a regular elk tag. Didn't put in for any special zones. I've never got a mule deer either so that would be a bonus.
Not looking for anyone's secret spot, just some basic guidance.

We are renting the Werner peak Lookout Sept 2-3 so I'll be doing some scouting up there so hopefully I'll find some good spots close to home. If that doesn't pan out, I rented out the Henneberry house Sept 15-18. It's right on the Beaverhead River so my wife will have plenty to do, and it's just south of Dillon so it should be in a good location for base camp.

Ive found some good looking spots in 325,329, and 331 that are all within an hour or so drive of the cabin.

What can I expect for pressure, and is there a section that I should focus on since I'll only be hunting for 3-4 days.

Went to college in dillon. Love that area! Get away from roads and you will not see many people. Good luck. Bring a fly rod for those browns around henneberry look into full moon mousing (might be worth missing a elk hunt if you hit it right!)

Elk hunting around the Flathead is not particularly good. I will say that I have had much more success during archery than during rifle. Lets put it this way... I grew up in Kalispell and we made the annual trip to the Dillon area to get to an area with better elk numbers. Don't care where you go, you will run into people. Do the best you can to separate yourself from the masses but don't let it discourage you. Hunt hard and you will find animals.

Back