Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Deading the hollow sound of a synthetic stock

Rooster52

My new Ruger American with synthetic stock has a hollow sound when bumped a little.Today I spray styrofoamed the butt stock full,hope that helps. Anyone ever try anythingelse to help deading the sound ?

On my Tikka I shoved a bunch of plastic garbage bags in the stock and it seemed to help a little w/o adding much weight. However, I was also considering the spray foam approach as well. How did it work?

Ive sprayed the expanding foam in several synthetic stocks and it indeed does help some. I just fill it in good and let it dry, then trim off the excess and re-install the recoil pad. Leave the recoil pad screws in the stocks hole to keep them from filling in. I have seen people stuff foam padding and other things into the stock cavity also.

My new Ruger American with synthetic stock has a hollow sound when bumped a little.Today I spray styrofoamed the butt stock full,hope that helps. Anyone ever try anythingelse to help deading the sound ?

Buy a boyd's stock and never look back.

Got the foam in the stock.May helped a little but not much. Still is a plastic stock and nothing will change that but I like the weight and balance.Not interested in changing to a wood stock on this rifle. So far I like this Ruger 7mm08.

This is why I bought a Howa and not a Kimber. The Kimber had awful stock noise and it sounds like yours does too. :( Good luck !

Back