Cwd

Sucks. It’s a terrible disease. Our g and p had a 10 percent positive rate in the deer they tested in my unit last year

The deer CWD situation looks bleak in the Montana Hi-Line area as well.

View attachment 206797

We're doing an alright job at tracking it and the numbers are getting pretty f'n bad. Deer don't care about Provicial and International boundaries. Our mule deer buck population's being hit the hardest due to rutting behaviours and their habit of shoving their faces in every doe's booty.
Screenshot_20211227-125351_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211227-124857_Drive.jpg

Manitoba found ONE positive CWD case in a mule deer in their zone 22 (adjacent to Sask WMZs 35 and 37) during early season and had a serious knee-jerk reaction IMO, and shut down hunting for the entire zone early November right ahead of the rifle season. All of Manitoba's Western and Southern zones are mandatory CWD testing to monitor CWD coming into the Province. With the cancelled season in zone 22, they went ahead with a cull with a "professional" company this December and went ahead and culled 600-900 whitetail deer (eventhough the positive case was in a mule deer).

At the end of the day CWD is a very serious decease and much more needs to be done. I don't have the answer but from my end this whole thing seems messy and I hope to see serious Federal funding, not just Saskatchewan, get poured into this. While this may be a Saskatchewan problem for now, it will soon spread like wildfire. Much like COVID and all contagious diseases, the infection rate is exponencial.

They have killed around 30 Mule deer around baker this winter. So far I believe the only positive one was the original buck. They want to kill up to 60 this winter for testing purposes

The poor deer herds are in trouble. I just read where a high percentage are testing positive for covid and in some areas EHD ? has killed a large number. A ranch that I used to hunt in Nebraska usually take 12 out of 12 on guided hunts. This year they got 5 /12

That is a very interesting CWD article, especially since I lived in Riverton some time ago. Hopefully, the current CWD funding and research push will lead to better management strategies than herd extermination, or deer hunting as we presently know it could change forever going forward in the region.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back