PEAX Equipment

CWD Management

jejack26

Does anybody know what's driving the "exterminate in place" theology the MTFWP is using to manage the disease? Did this work when it hit Colorado? I notice we'very increased buck permits significantly in 652, anybody really know.

Didn't work in Wisconsin . If they were aver successful with "exterminate in place". It all be for nothing if they do not have a " seal off forever "plan . Or at least until Prions disappear from the soil.

We rehash this subject over and over on here...lots of threads and I’ve posted CWD info ad nauseum. Long story short, epidemiology and research suggests targeted depopulation can work if the action is early and sustained, but almost zero states have actually tried it because hunters lose their minds when they do and the state abandons the strategy in short order.

New York is the only state so far that committed to a rapid, aggressive and sustained removal strategy in response to their first detection of CWD in wild deer. That was in 2005 and they have had zero additional detections of CWD in wild deer since. All other states have ended up using various, much more conservative combinations of population reductions and “monitoring”, and now have fairly unchecked geographic spread and increasing prevalences in nearly all cases. This is the road Montana is headed down as well.

We rehash this subject over and over on here...lots of threads and I’ve posted CWD info ad nauseum. Long story short, epidemiology and research suggests targeted depopulation can work if the action is early and sustained, but almost zero states have actually tried it because hunters lose their minds when they do and the state abandons the strategy in short order.

New York is the only state so far that committed to a rapid, aggressive and sustained removal strategy in response to their first detection of CWD in wild deer. That was in 2005 and they have had zero additional detections of CWD in wild deer since. All other states have ended up using various, much more conservative combinations of population reductions and “monitoring”, and now have fairly unchecked geographic spread and increasing prevalences in nearly all cases. This is the road Montana is headed down as well.
like I said, unless they fire up the helicopters there is no chance that enough deer will be killed on private land to stop the spread.

I'd encourage you to get some knowledge first hand by talking with your local biologists and checking out http://cwd-info.org/

There's lots of opinion on here, but you'd be best served going to primary sources.

I'd encourage you to get some knowledge first hand by talking with your local biologists and checking out http://cwd-info.org/

There's lots of opinion on here, but you'd be best served going to primary sources.
What’s the end game? Either we shoot the deer or cwd kills the deer either way no deer. Canada has had it for a long time and they still seem to be managing ok. Mother Nature is undefeated.

Do any of you have your deer or elk tested for cwd? We have some cases here so they recommend doing it so we did this year it was 20 something a deer and we had to send the lymph nodes in and wait a week.

If we want to get serious about it let’s require mandatory testing on every single animal shot. If they can’t afford it add it to the license fees. Let’s get this under “control”.

Do any of you have your deer or elk tested for cwd? We have some cases here so they recommend doing it so we did this year it was 20 something a deer and we had to send the lymph nodes in and wait a week.
I get mine tested every year. But I live in the epicenter of CWD. Only have had one deer test positive.

Does anybody know what's driving the "exterminate in place" theology the MTFWP is using to manage the disease? Did this work when it hit Colorado? I notice we'very increased buck permits significantly in 652, anybody really know.
I think the theory is that if you kill all of the deer and elk, CWD becomes a nonissue. :rolleyes:

Montana fwp is struggling at best they opened the cwd hunt and didn’t require animals to even be tested. Incomplete science but let’s roll with it. Let’s kill some deer!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back