Custom Orthotics

Addicting

Reaching out to those of you who have them.

I have been seeing a Podiatrist for some pain in my right foot, they diagnosed me with Morton's neuroma. Without going into all the fancy medical terms it's pain between the front pads of your feet from swelling. I get it from a variety of shoes and have had a lot of over the counter stuff and injections to the nerve. None of that was 100% of a cure, it still affects me in tennis shoes and Kenetreks. The Doctor wants me to get custom orthotics, but they are very expensive ($450). The question comes in that when I ordered my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes, Kenetrek recommended 11.5s to allow for their sock system. Which I have ran for a couple years and love. However, when I wear sneakers I usually end up in a 10.5 or 11 depending on the manufacture, my current ones are 10.5. Do you have to buy orthotics for each shoe or are they transferrable? Buying one pair is expensive, let alone 2.

Thanks Tony

I use FootMaxx customs and they were about that much up front, though the replacements are less due to the assessment work being done already. I have extremely high arches, one previously broken ankle, and one foot with two previously broken metatarsals. For me they don't totally solve any problems but they're a way to get by...and they're worth it for me personally. I've just gone with one pair and switched them between footwear as needed. I don't use them in my daily wear running shoes. I only use them on long distance hikes and to play basketball. They likely wouldn't transfer to just any shoe or boot very well, the internal dimensions being slightly different of course. I've gotten pretty lucky on interchangeability thus far though, with no issues.

I have custom inserts that cost me over $400 when I got them in 2016. I had severe plantar faciitis in both feet, torn tendon in right foot. I have transfered them between a variety of shoes....mostly salomon and asolo hikers...without any problems. I have a pair of kenetrek bridger ridge that I haven't tried them in. I don't think they would fit very well in the kenetreks. It just seems like they are way tighter on my foot than what the other two types are. I can go without the insoles for short periods but I will begin to feel the "stretch" of the plantar if I go without them for too long. Once you get used to them, you can definitely tell when you are without them.

Fully transferrable. Just try on new footwear w your custom orthotics when shopping. I have a thicker and a thinner set of orthotics. The thicker one adds a full shoe size, the thinner one, about a half size. My foot problems have pretty much ended in the 20 years I've used custom orthotics.

Once you have them there is no going without. The company my podiatrist uses offers a 3 yr warranty for $60 and they will rebuild them for free. I get about 2 years out of them and then have them rebuilt. They work extremely well but I did have to have them adjusted when I first started wearing them, but the adjustment was done at no cost. Takes a couple weeks to get used to them starting with only a few hours use per day and working your way up. Couldn't make it without them. As far as fit, I use them in Zamberlan's and Danner's with no issue, but as previously mentioned, try on the boot with the orthotics. I use mine along with the insoles that come with the boots but trim them to fit the heel of my orthotics.

You can definitely move them to different boots. As stated, try on boots/shoes with them. It won’t work if you buy the boots 1st then try to make them fit with the insoles. I have neuromas in both feet and would suggest getting boots/shoes with the stiffest outsole possible. The neuromas are definitely worse with flexible outsoles.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back