Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Custom Knife for a good friend

70Classic

Sorry if this is in the wrong area, but I wanted to ask the deer hunters.

I'd like to order a custom knife for a very close friend. We've spent most of the last 25 hunting seasons together in the field and most of the stories in my life worth telling begin "John and I...."

I'd like to hear about both knife makers and also the blade shapes you might recommend.

Thanks for the input.

CLassic, Let me suggest a knifesmith named Todd Kopp. I've known Todd for 15 years and he makes some of the finest knives I've ever seen. Do a google search for his name. You'll find he's won best of show for several of the best knife shows in the country. He's building me a damascus drop point skinner right now. I have several collectable knives, now I want a working blade. If you are interested, I can send you some pictures of some of the knives he's built for me. The knife in the picture is stainless damascus. The handle is a Myrtle burl with pertrified walrus tusk spacer. The hilt is Nickle silver. This is a Todd Kopp knife.

Of course if you are looking for a folder, check T-Bone right here on Hunttalk.. I have a couple of his knives and they are really great.

:cool:

Attachments

• k1b.jpg
    k1b.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 136
I would highly reccommend Gene Ingrams knives. He does a very very good job and his knives are extremely tough and you have tons of options. He's very friendly and will take the time to find out exactly what you want. Here is his website. I have the one on the front page.

http://geneingramknives.blademakers.com/

70 there's many excellent knifesmiths all over...quite a few in Arizona...If I were choosing one for myself I'd like about a 4 1/2 inch drop point, full tang d2...infi...or sr101 steel with a thumb ramp, with olive wood scales. I'd also want one I wouldn't be afraid to carry and use.

Probably some good knife makers near you....would make it easier to collaborate and inspect the progress.

I'd go with a semi-drop point around 4 inches. I'm partial to laminated blades--hard on the outside, soft on the inside. I've got one custom knife with a gut hook that's starting to grow on me but some folks don't like the extra metal on the tip.

Back