Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Crossbow

Personally I am partial to TenPoint. Bought my first one in 1997 and it still works perfectly today. I am upgrading to one of their newer models. I am sure there are some other good ones out there but I'm stickin with what works.

thank you for your information. I have heard that ten points where really good but they are alot of money.I was trying to stay under 800.00

I've hunted with a lot of different crossbows and the Ten Point is a great bow and will last for years. Also the Excalibur is another great bow. Excal is a recurve a bit wider and longer then the ten point but both shoot about the same. The ten point is a little compact for tight places.

I never shot at a deer past 30 yards but I target shoot all the time out to 50. Based on how I've done at 50 I would image with one of the newer brossbows that 60 yards would not be a problem.

I've taken over 550 deer with my crossbows over the years and I have only taken 2 40 yard shots a handful of 35 yard shots, my avg is 7-13 yards. But I am hunting in hard woods and tight cut areas. I would think that if a person out west has enough experience given the hunters experience with using and hunting with a crossbow he could take long range shots, knowing his limitations with the weather , ie. wind, the animals body language. 60 yard shots would be do-able. I mean the crossbow would kill an animal at 100 yards easy but not worth the risk.

bigboy your up the road from me so I would keep my shots under 20 yards for a while till you get a good understanding of the bow.

Bigboy your hunting in Pa I would keep the distance down to what you would normally do with a vertical bow. There are just to many variables to take the chance and wound a deer. Sure there have been deer killed at long ranges but you do not hear anything about them mostly guys will wound the deer and lose it. You will never hear anything about that :( Good part is with a crossbow you can wait for the perfect shot, I'll let a deer wonder around me for a minute or 2 and then think about the shot if I want to take it or not. Letting the deer relax gives you a shooting advantage. Many time while waiting I have had a different deer come in that I decided I like better and sometimes more would show up till there was a large group and then I just sit back , to many eyes LOL

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back