Critique my NM elk application!

The biggest problem i see with your app is that its posted on the internet:)
Depending on your expectations it sounds good i don't however see the hq tag fee as a factor if "swinging for the fence" on 1st choice.
P.s. I didn't put in for a hunt I like because of the full moon also. I happens to be during the first half of October and that can be hot in New Mexico. Hot, full moon and post rut can be a bad combination.
Why would I when there's other options?

The biggest problem i see with your app is that its posted on the internet:)
Depending on your expectations it sounds good i don't however see the hq tag fee as a factor if "swinging for the fence" on 1st choice.
P.s. I didn't put in for a hunt I like because of the full moon also. I happens to be during the first half of October and that can be hot in New Mexico. Hot, full moon and post rut can be a bad combination.
Why would I when there's other options?
Lol, well I waited until the application period was closed although I guess someone could use it next year. But all that info is on the internet anyways.

I just didn't feel like paying the extra $$ if I were to be picked early in the draw. Was going for success rather than trophy potential since my odds of taking an elk are slim anyway.

Lol, well I waited until the application period was closed although I guess someone could use it next year. But all that info is on the internet anyways.

I just didn't feel like paying the extra $$ if I were to be picked early in the draw. Was going for success rather than trophy potential since my odds of taking an elk are slim anyway.
You'll just have to down play your experience when you do your hunt write up. Barren wasteland with no elk. Could work to your advantage going forward.

I hope you draw 34. Lot of elk. Lot of private land and lot of national forest. My hunt was frustrating. Lot of elk, saw a herd bull. Always was private between myself and the elk. If you can shoot 800 yards, it would have been a good hunt. I cannot and did not fire a shot. It was still a good hunt!

You'll just have to down play your experience when you do your hunt write up. Barren wasteland with no elk. Could work to your advantage going forward.

Lol, I'll just PM it if somehow manage to kill something. Barren wasteland indeed if not.

Reactions: LCH
Lol, I'll just PM it if somehow manage to kill something. Barren wasteland indeed if not.

I was successful and would call it a barren wasteland. There was very little public land in my unit, a very low percentage of that wasn’t covered in roads. It was as if they had drawn a line around all the great elk habitat and made the semi-surrounding unit, and then made boundaries around all the marginal habitat and those were all private land. The public within the unit was all crappy looking garbage except for two squares with no public access except by hiking through the adjacent unit. After two days of getting cliffed out(and seeing zero elk) without ever finding a way down into my unit without reppelling gear I gave up and moved on. I was getting ready to change sides of the unit and hunt a heavily roaded area when two herds of elk came out of a private canyon and made their way toward public. Afterward I figured it was still a suitable third choice, but definitely a gamble as to whether or not I could repeat the event. Then the draw odds came out and have dropped tremendously, the unit has been listed on a draw odds site, and there’s no way I’m wasting a choice on that hunt with its new lower draw odds. Glad for the tasty elk meat though. I think all your units appear to offer a better experience than the one I drew.

I put in for Q/HD "glory" tags as choice 1 and 2 and then drew a "regular" 3rd choice tag this year. The feeling of getting a tag and a $225 refund was pretty tough to beat!

I put in for Q/HD "glory" tags as choice 1 and 2 and then drew a "regular" 3rd choice tag this year. The feeling of getting a tag and a $225 refund was pretty tough to beat!

Haha, well a glory tag would be wasted on me at this point. What did you end up drawing? You can PM me if you prefer to keep it private.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back