Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Cowboy poet Baxter Black has died

kansasdad

Baxter Black, cowboy poet died June 10, 2022. For me, he is/was the most famous cowboy poet.

Tonight Show appearances such as this one helped introduce cowboy poetry to America

And I think of this bit of sage philosophy when I’ve lost a dog.

I got to see him on stage only once. The audience were equally divided between real cowboys and bedazzled wannabes. His joke about being a celebrity judge at a “cycling completion“ that he decided he couldn’t participate because he didn’t have 28 days to give was over the wannabes heads.

I had read several of Bax’s books, and loved his work. That night when he performed his poem about the wildfire that is a living entity, it was deathly quiet in that auditorium. His performance conjured up all the anguish of the assault on nature and manmade structures by this malevolent force, bent on destruction.

Happy trails Baxter Black. I’m quite sure that your faithful pups have been waiting for your arrival.

I've enjoyed his work quite a bit over the years. Sad to hear.

Damn it got a lot sadder around here. I love his stuff my dad got to meet him and he signed a copy of Croutons on a Cowpie. If you had anything signed by him you know how he signed it. RIP Mr Black may you always be wearing those ankle splash guards for those jalapeno mornings.

NPR has a nice obituary for Baxter, who did regular work on their network. Some good links to his appearances for them are included.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back