MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Contacts and Hunting

aws1963

I'm reaching a point where I am tired of having to wear glasses in the field. They fog, get dropped, lost (can't remember where the hell I put them half the time) and are basically a big PITA.

I am seriously considering trying contacts.

Anyone have thoughts on this to share?

I have been using contacts since I was 13. They can be a bit of a pain at times but that mainly has to do with taking them on and off in the woods, but most of the new brands can be slept in for a couple of days. The main issue is that your eyes don't get as much oxygen when you sleep and this is compounded by altitude so it might be very uncomfortable to sleep in them at 7,000 if you live at sea level. I typically remove them every night and it's not that big of a deal... just bring a couple of backups in cause you lose one in the tent.

My boss switched from glasses to contacts when he had to get bifocals. Apparently the bifocals affect his sight picture in the scope. One thing he said is he wished he would have gotten used to them before hunting because they made his eyes itch...might want to wear them for a week or two to get used to them.

Have wore contacts my of my life. If you sleep in regular contacts, your eyes may lack oxygen. BUT.. you can buy contacts that you can keep in your eyes for a week, month, or anywhere inbetween. I use the contacts that you can sleep in for week or so at a time, but take them out if i am at home every night. What they these type of contracts do is allow alot more oxygen to pass thru the lenses, which in turn lets you sleep in them a few nights out in the hills without having your eyes start hurting. As said, throw an extra pair or two in your pack as well

I've worn them for hunting, trail hiking, anything in the outdoors that is recreational. Learned the hard way wearing bifocals, the trail was steep and I couldn't focus going downhill. I fell and was lucky not to get seriously hurt. Now I wear "cheaters" to read maps etc. GJ

I went back to glasses from contacts. I found it to be a pain to get my hands clean enough to put them in in the morning. I still keep a few pairs of daily disposables just in case.

Think about doing the LASIK surgery. Most insurances will cover a large part of it and it's fantastic! Wore glasses since I was 8 years old and had it done 16 years ago and it's amazing. My prescription changed slightly and I might have to have a touch up on it, but to have 16 years of perfect vision is wonderful. I wear contacts now when hunting. They work fine, are cheap, and I use the daily ones.

I use contacts, and I'm glad I made the change. I don't have to worry about scratching lenses or wearing masks, etc...

If you can do it I would recommend the daily contacts you throw out every night. Next morning pop a fresh pair in. No cleaning, breathe well and less chance of an eye infection from dirty lenses in the field. Made the switch 25 years ago after getting some debris in my contact case while backpacking. Putting them in the next morning I scratched my eye. Painful and uncomfortable.

Everyone's eyes are unique and will handle contacts differently. I switched to contacts years ago, mainly for hunting and outdoor activities. I use monthly lenses that are OK to keep in for up to 2 weeks continuously. My eyes handle them just fine for at least that long. When hunting, I leave them in and just use some drops in the morning. Much easier than taking them out at night and fumbling with them in the morning, and less chance of infection by keeping your dirty paws away from your eyes.

I've had them since I was young and they are bit of a pain in the ass hunting. Like others have said, you've got to get your hands clean and if it's 10 degrees out, you have to deal with keeping the solution from freezing and also your contacts at night. I put my case in my pocket when sleeping at night so that they don't freeze. And definitely put a travel size bottle of solution in your pack so that if something gets in your eye and is really irritating, you have some solution. I'd love to get lasik.

I wore glasses most of my life before getting contacts maybe 5 years ago. I also use the ones that you can keep in for a week. I usually wear a pair for a trip, and then keep my glasses in a hard case in my pack in case I need them. I got tired of glasses fogging up/getting messed up when wearing hoods/getting dirty/etc and switching to contacts has been great. I also like the ability to wear (cheap, non-prescription) sunglasses in the field if needed.

As others have said, make sure to get used to wearing them well before season starts. I personally dislike taking them in and out every day while hunting due to hand washing and such, but also because I don't typically have a mirror around and it takes me an hour to put my contacts in without one.

I've worn contacts since i was in the 8th grade and there is no way I would go back to glasses. I never leave mine in overnight. I always remove and store them in some good solution. I haven't had any problems with dry eye or infections. I want lasik if I can get it someday

Lasik would be good if you are a candidate.

Be careful wearing CL overnight. Overwear can cause an ulcer and you seriously don't want that in the middle of your hunt. As others have stated, if you get the Extended Wear CL, try them at home before you use them in the field to make sure you can tolerate them. Also keep them lubricated.

Consider Daily Disposable lenses. It's the most common modality in Europe but hasn't caught on here as much. Much less to worry about.

Try sterile medical gloves (I prefer nitrile) for putting them in if you are unable to clean your hands.

If you are over 40 you may need some readers to use with contact lenses unless you can tolerate monovision or multifocal contact lenses (which I hate).

Take extra lenses!!!!!

I have worn them for a long time. I use dailies so I can take them out every night and put in a fresh pair each morning. I just take along antiseptic wipes in a zip lock to clean my hands with and a small mirror when I am camping out. The best part is I have my contact lense person give me extra sets of lenses that give me excellent long range vision for when I am hunting or out in the big country. I like them.

I used to wear them hunting until it cost a really good buck. Had a good buck come in during a bow hunt, I was focused on where I was going to put my arrow and not looking at his head gear. I blinked and my contact folded over. I slowly set down put my bow on my lap and while trying not to gouge my eye out with my release, managed to put my contact back in. Looked up no buck and never saw that buck again. So I wear glasses hunting and take a back up just in case.

I wore contacts for about 12-13 years, and greatly preferred them to glasses for hunting. I'd even wear contacts in the field in the Marines (after boot camp) and had no trouble with that. Prior to a deployment I had PRK vision correction. It's more painful and takes longer to heal, but the military strongly preferred PRK to LASIK at the time. That was 6 years ago and I've had perfect vision since.

Started wearing glasses when I was 8 and contacts when I was 12. For me, hunting in glasses is near impossible.

Up until a couple years ago I was wearing the contacts you can sleep for a week in; those allow oxygen to get to your eyes, but they do not prevent GPC from developing. Which is something I started to deal with. I now wear daily contacts, which basically got rid of my GPC. They are more expensive, and more of a pain to deal with since you have to put them in and take them out daily, but good lord do they feel better than any contact designed for sleeping that I have worn. Backpacking last summer I wore those and brought a pair of glasses for the late night and mornings where I wasn't wearing the contacts.

Two years ago I cut my eye and had a corneal ulcer. It was the most painful thing I'd ever experienced, and caused me to develop the opinion that you should spare no expense when it comes to your eyes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back