Comment in Support of FWP Proposed CE in Central MT

Conservation easements are under attack nationally, and in Montana.

There is an odd twisted logic that “conserving” the entirety of an estate is supporting private property rights.
I have heard a conservative county commissioner say that the government should have never allowed the mineral estate to be severed from the surface estate. Because that violated future private property owners interests.

Now, the argument is for prohibiting conservation easements because it is necessary to protects future property owners private property rights. It is somewhat like the logic of a sovereign citizen- assert gibberish forcefully enough and people concede the debate.

Will 99 year leases have a negative effect on conservation? I think that is the direct intended purpose.

Does it mean the sky is falling? I don’t think so, if the gap can be bridged with private conservation.

But it just might be because I am inside the snow globe praying it doesn’t snow.
 
This is on the agenda for the October 14th commission meeting. It's unclear when the deadline is (says "September XX, 2026") , so please comment in support ASAP.

 
I wonder if MWF would prefer no easement over a 99 year easement. I totally get where they are coming from and agree that it sets a bad precedent. I think if I didn't live where I do, I'd be more likely to demand that it was perpetual. I think the perpetual easement to the forest service makes it worthwhile to me. It's a sticky situation for sure though.
 
I wonder if MWF would prefer no easement over a 99 year easement. I totally get where they are coming from and agree that it sets a bad precedent. I think if I didn't live where I do, I'd be more likely to demand that it was perpetual. I think the perpetual easement to the forest service makes it worthwhile to me. It's a sticky situation for sure though.
I think i would? But ill likely never hunt there - was always about the principle of whats happening for me. Id likely feel the same as you if it were in my back yard. Its a raw deal in terms of investment (95% of forever price for a term), and sets a bad precident that its okay to strong arm existing laws and landowners - simply because someone doesnt "like" perpetuity.

Still - comments can be directed at disappointment for it any 3 could happen results (99 year, perpetual, or not at all). Ive got a feeling the landboard is responsible for pushing the 99 year option. They should hear the opposition voice the loudest.

The people i feel the most frustation for is the landowners.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
120,106
Messages
2,249,896
Members
39,093
Latest member
other_waters
Back
Top