Colorado regulation question.....

michsteelguy

Probably an easy question for some of you guys:

I'm trying to build my portfolio of preference points in multiple states (deer /elk.. so far), for future hunts. Heres a question I had in regards to Colorado....

From 2014 Big Game brochure... (page #7 pref points..... note #5): basically says that if you dont apply, or purchase a license within 10 years, you will lose all of your accrued points. Now, if I just apply for a point as 1st choice and nothing else, is that considered buying a license or applying? You still have to front the entire cost of the tag, then eventually you are issued a refund for the difference (tag cost - point cost). Or.....do they mean that you must have to actually apply for the actual tag as a 1ST CHOICE? I know that points will be issued if your 1st choice is not drawn (as long as you input that option), but I am curious to know how some people say that they have been applying for 15-20 years and never drawn a tag for certain species. How is that possible, since ones point totals would seem to be enough....(15-20)?

**** Hope I didnt confuse anyone!

The 10 year thing is only if you don't apply or buy points. If you're buying a point every year, you won't lose them.

but I am curious to know how some people say that they have been applying for 15-20 years and never drawn a tag for certain species. How is that possible, since ones point totals would seem to be enough....(15-20)?

It's definitely possible in some of Colorado's highest demand units. The state publishes two reports, which you can find in the "Statistics" section on the website, called the "Preference Points Required" and the "Hunt Recap" which explain how many points it took to draw a certain tag. Check out the rifle either-sex elk hunt in GMU 201, for example, and you'll see that 20 points won't get you the tag regardless of your Colorado residency status. There are a lot of hunters wanting to draw a small number of permits in some of those units.

Last edited:
There is a code for just applying for a preference point. Just put in;

E-P-999-99-P for Elk.
D-P-999-99-P for Deer

As your first choice.

Heck...put in for a hunt code as first choice that you would like that doesn't seem possible. You never know, sometimes weird things happen. Then if you don't draw it, you still get your preference point. I have drawn tags that I shouldn't have according to draw odds doing that.

There is a code for just applying for a preference point. Just put in;

E-P-999-99-P for Elk.
D-P-999-99-P for Deer

As your first choice.

Yes.... I understand the codes and have no problem with that, as thats what I applied for last year and this year as well. I was just worried about losing them down the road if I didnt actually apply for a tag. Thanks though.

I believe pref points are same price for deer and antelope,,,elk is the only point that you can buy at the reduced cow price? please correct me if im wrong?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back