Colorado Mule Deer

bklaas

Hello everyone! New to HT, but long time lurker. This year we plan on doing our first West hunt. Friends of mine have hunted for elk for a few years. I plan on heading out there for 2nd rifle deer, and had a few questions. Where can I expect to find deer in this unit around this time(elevation and foliage wise)? It seems to me that the good majority is high country. There are a few locations around 8300-9500 that seem that they would be good by just checking maps. This unit doesn't seem to have the sage that 99% of videos online people are hunting. Is this something I should stray away from? I would really appreciate any information at all, even not related to this topic. Hope everyone had a good year, and I can't wait to come out west. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
You hunt em where you find em, and you find em where they is.

Welcome and good luck!

Did u ask your friends to give you 1st hand intel?
What I was told is they have seen a few big ones at higher elevation(11k), but they are few and far between. My intentions are not to try and hold out for a giant. Any half decent buck would be great for my first one. So I’m going to try to bounce around down low till I find them

Hello everyone! New to HT, but long time lurker. This year we plan on doing our first West hunt. Friends of mine have hunted elk for a few years. I plan on heading out there for 2nd rifle deer, and had a few questions. It seems to me that the good majority is high country. T There are a few locations around 8300-9500 that seem that they would be good by just checking maps. This unit doesn't seem to have the sage that 99% of videos online people are hunting. Is this something I should stray away from? I would really appreciate any information at all, even not relevant to 65. Hope everyone had a good year, and I can't wait to come out west. Thanks in advance!
Welcome to HT!

Somewhere between 5000ft and 14000ft. Usually found in cover as sparse as rolling grass prairie to dense, steep, cliffs and dark timber.
Thats just about what I figured! Thanks for the help. Will just put some miles on the ol boots I guess!

Hard to say without knowing the unit or part of the state. Even then, the weather will play a big roll too. I’ve hunted a unit in the middle of the state during 2nd season and found the deer from 11-13k elevation and not leaving those elevations. A few years before that, I hunted a unit in the southern part of the state and the deer were at 7k elevation and migrating the heck out of there quickly. Start high and work lower until you find them.

Welcome aboard, I don’t know what unit you are looking at but I’ve seen 70 degree weather at 7AM high-altitude 2nd rifle and blizzard conditions 1st rifle....
You are going to need to be prepared for both and WX will dictate a lot....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back