Colorado Mule Deer Unit 18, 28, 37, and 371

Cod9524

Hello all,

I just drew a leftover tag for this area for second season. I didnt get a chance to scout out this area and wont be able to until start of season. Any information on where to start e-scouting would be helpful.

I have been looking at some other threads and I was looking at the area between Kremmling and Granby on the BLM lands. I'm not looking for some record breaker since this is my first time mule deer hunting. The trophy for me will be getting it on the public lands. Any information would be great! Thank you in advance.

Most of the BLM in that area is lower elevation, relatively speaking. Unless you get a big snow, most mule deer bucks on public land will likely be in the forested areas, which is largely national forest. I’ve seen some decent bucks in the Never Summer wilderness while elk hunting. I would recommend you shift your focus to higher elevations. Bucks will be in the thick stuff, which there is plenty of.

Im in those units now scouting. Ive seen most of the deer at 10k elevation. Its a weird area but i bet if a guy learned it and hiked his but off itll happen

I was in the Gore Range a couple weeks ago, unit 371 I think, and saw a tank of a buck not far from the trailhead at about 9k. Tough stuff to hunt as it is really thick. The big bucks will most likely be high up during 2nd rifle, but there will be smaller ones with the does at lower elevations. We found some basically at the valley floor that would feed on the irrigated fields at night and make their way up onto the public in the AM. There are a bunch of deer in those units.

I have a feeling with the late snow melt and the super wet summer deer are going to be very high in the fall baring a ton of early snow. I’d be eyeballing areas around timber line.

All those units are pretty close to Denver so you need to go in deep if you are want to get away from people, or else get creative and hunt the hard to access stuff.

I have a muzzy tag in those units, and have scouted a few times this year.

Can't speak about second season, but they are extremely high right now. Haven't seen anything bigger than a forker under 9,500 feet.

I have a feeling with the late snow melt and the super wet summer deer are going to be very high in the fall baring a ton of early snow. I’d be eyeballing areas around timber line.

All those units are pretty close to Denver so you need to go in deep if you are want to get away from people, or else get creative and hunt the hard to access stuff.

Agree with Wllm, busy unit for 2nd season:

81 Either Sex Tags (private only)
925 Doe Tags
1900 Buck Tags

OTC Bull Elk for that season along with 485 Cow Tags.

Be prepared to run into some people and hunt hard to get away from them.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back