Caribou Gear

colorado mule deer from ?

jbm

i took this pic of a mule deer that was hanging in an old log house we stayed in while hunting on this ranch outside meeker colorado. i took the pic in the early 70's and was told by my gramps it at always been there from the time he started hunting the ranch back in the early 50;s. not sure if its still there or not

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 827
Not long ago there hung a number of heads of that class at the Buford Store and Cabins, NE of Meeker. Sorry to say, I've hunted the area 28 years without seeing one like that in the field. I recon I arrived 30 years too late.

During big game season and before cell phones big game hunters around the area would converge at the Buford Store to buy supplies and make phone calls home to wives and family. Waiting in long lines of 20-40 men to use a single pay phone at the Buford Store was made more bearable by the heads and horns hanging in the store, along the front porch and inside the cabins.

Alas, they've all been removed since Harry Tucker died, the pay phone is gone and the store is no longer open to the public. End of an era in so many ways.

Back