Colorado deer 3rd season Unit 70

Old man bob

Okay Guys I am going to Colorado for first time at 63 years old. Been there many times but not hunting. What can I expect, I have heard alotta deer r but dinks .Read old posts on different sites. Willing to get away from roads. I did that in Montana 3 times with great success, and last year in Wyoming. New Mexico was same way. Hunted it many times . Seems like local like to drive around and road hunt for Meat. I know thats not everyone but alot. Any pictures of bucks from there, and or advise.If we get big snow will it push em down in 3rd season? I might have a local show me some stuff but He is in Texas working and wants to get time to come show me around ,but don't know if its gonna happen. Gotta have some back up strategy just in case. I can stay the whole time and probaly figure it out but was looking for tips or what not to do or where not to go so I am not wasting time.I won't shoot a dink till the very end if I want meat. Love to see some Pics. Would be willing to pay for acsess too if its worth it. Thanks in advance. You can Pm Me if needed, or call Me 602-422-0353. I bought a topo of the whole unit. I will be ready. I have lived in Phoenix area since 1977 and can give tips on AZ. if needed in exchange..............BOB!

If someone told you Colorado has just dinks. They aren't very good hunters.

I hunted 70 4th season. I saw 450+ deer in two days. That was back in 2008. I took a 176 buck. There were deer everywhere but you really had to pick through them to find a decent buck. There was a wild horse area that had good potential.

In the third season you will have more people but should still see a lot of deer with more and more showing up each day.

I hunted 70 4th season. I saw 450+ deer in two days. That was back in 2008. I took a 176 buck. There were deer everywhere but you really had to pick through them to find a decent buck. There was a wild horse area that had good potential.

In the third season you will have more people but should still see a lot of deer with more and more showing up each day.

You had it easy. You hunted the winter range in 4th season. Try going for a mature muley in muzzleloader season in mid Sept.

I have been building points since then. Fun hunt and liked the area. I do love the muzzleloader hunts and have points for a good hunt.

I like the muzzy season the best. It's all I do now. The weather is nice and I enjoy hunting the high altitudes that most of the game is at.
Good luck with your muzzy hunt.

OP...Sorry. Got off topic.

Even without looking at those stats I know Colorado can produce a monster any where anytime. These Guys were on that Muley site just saying 70 has gone down hill and you will see alot of 2 year old deer. Not worried .They don't know My glassing abillity or the effort I will put in. Even at 63 If good one comes around I generally find em. Thanks Guys!Keep it coming.................BOB!

Even without looking at those stats I know Colorado can produce a monster any where anytime. These Guys were on that Muley site just saying 70 has gone down hill and you will see alot of 2 year old deer. Not worried .They don't know My glassing abillity or the effort I will put in. Even at 63 If good one comes around I generally find em. Thanks Guys!Keep it coming.................BOB!
Old Man Bob,

This is hopefully my first year to hunt Colorado for Deer. I was wondering how you did on your deer hunt in 70? Its one of the units I'm considering. I'm from NM so have information on many units if needed. I'm starting to get up there in age so hoping to enjoy Colorado. It will be my wife and myself going out. I'd be the only one hunting. Thank you, Wapitidave

Bambistew, I’m sorry, not sure I understand your reply
Sorry. What I meant, is if you enjoyed hunting MT and did well, you will do well in CO, likely see more bucks of equal or bigger size and have a much better chance of killing a bigger buck. MT deer hunting is the lowest benchmark you can set, IMO.

I live close to 70 pretty decent unit. You will see lots of deer on private but if you put in some time you can find a decent buck on public usually during 3rd you will see a little pre rut and if it gets cold they really start moving.

I live close to 70 pretty decent unit. You will see lots of deer on private but if you put in some time you can find a decent buck on public usually during 3rd you will see a little pre rut and if it gets cold they really start moving.
JD88, Thank you for the reply. Appreciate any help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back