Colorado Archery elk unit ?

Andrewlonghi

Looking at the list for second draw opportunity a lot of the archery units have a good amount of tags left over. Is this because there not good units tuff terrain to hunt. Thinking about applying but don't want to shoot myself in the foot vs getting a OTC tag for first time.

My opinion any unit can be good if you’re out there for the right reason…if you’re going DIY the odds aren’t going to be much different in any unit until it’s mastered (10% harvest pretty much everywhere), and it’s likely going to be a few years grinding a unit before you kill an elk anyway unless you’re exceptional. No offense, but by the question I’m guessing you’re new to elk or at least CO. So that said, pick the area that looks the most appealing to how you want to hunt. Do you want to glass for days and make a play, or spot and stalk the heavy timber? Figure out what gets you excited and plan your hunt around enjoying the experience.

My opinion any unit can be good if you’re out there for the right reason…if you’re going DIY the odds aren’t going to be much different in any unit until it’s mastered (10% harvest pretty much everywhere), and it’s likely going to be a few years grinding a unit before you kill an elk anyway unless you’re exceptional. No offense, but by the question I’m guessing you’re new to elk or at least CO. So that said, pick the area that looks the most appealing to how you want to hunt. Do you want to glass for days and make a play, or spot and stalk the heavy timber? Figure out what gets you excited and plan your hunt around enjoying the experience.
Everything is going to be new for me. That said, I plan to pick a unit and go in see what happens. Most likely will try calling and look for good sign. Had 4 unit picked out but after some advice and tips from forum members I'm down to two of the four. Hopefully it works out

Try picking a unit that required the most points. See if in the future points matter. Also maybe pick a unit that has the most other unit options. Good luck to you. Whatever you choose it’s better than not going at all.

Everything is going to be new for me. That said, I plan to pick a unit and go in see what happens. Most likely will try calling and look for good sign. Had 4 unit picked out but after some advice and tips from forum members I'm down to two of the four. Hopefully it works out
What are the two you have picked out?

Looking at the list for second draw opportunity a lot of the archery units have a good amount of tags left over. Is this because there not good units tuff terrain to hunt. Thinking about applying but don't want to shoot myself in the foot vs getting a OTC tag for first time.
What is the best unit for first timer non resident

First time hunter, shoot for the moon. Don’t otc hunt. Look for a unit that draws out second choice and has a lot of public access. You’d be surprised at the tag you can get by doing research. Over these next couple of months dive into the recapping reports on elk hunting statistics page on the Colorado division of wildlife. Also look into the regulation book. People don’t read it. It is loaded with great hunts. People are lazy. Tell you what. I hunt in a unit from the booklet and see elk everyday bow hunting. Saw 15 bulls each day. Otc unit. Do your research!

What is the best unit for first timer non resident

Any that your willing to tackle. There's some good guys on this forum that helped me out before my trip. Ask questions but ask the right ones, read back threw old post and gather what info you can on different units. My advice would be pick one unit and Stay in it.

Back