Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Colo OTC seasons

Brisco

I am looking at picking up an over the counter elk tag. Will be the first time hunting elk.

Any advantage to one season over the other? I would imagine weather plays a large part in what the elk are doing and there would be more elk for the picking in 2nd season in theory.

3rd season has more of a chance of snow and pushing elk down for easier access.

It appears more elk are shot in the second season in most units than the third.

Am I missing anything here or is there a clear advantage to the third season over second season that i am missing?

2nd season 2011

P1040211.jpg

muuuhhhaaaahhaaaa. hahahahaha.

Surprisingly no, but it was about 5 miles away from the spot where he did call the weather a year before????????????

Brisco all kidding aside i know a lot of guys that go out there for the general seasons and most of them have those ''we couldn't hunt for just trying to survive'' stories.

The bow tag also gives you a 4 week window to fit your hunt into.

Plus it really is nice to leave 100 plus deg temps and spend some time in the mountains,before Fall arrives here.

Brisco - The 3rd season is my preferred time to be hunting in a OTC unit, mainly because I like the snow/cold. But most years the access becomes more difficult as the rifle seasons progress, there seems to be just enough snow to limit 4WD access, but not enough to completely push the elk out of the mountains. The elk will seek deep canyons, private land, or really rough country in between. In past I have found elk in lower elevation areas (pinion and Juniper) in the second season that I don't think had been hunted yet, because everyone in the 1st rifle or archery were hunting higher. If you can afford 10 days off I would go the last week of archery, if you only have 7 days I would try the second season and get to an area a day prior to season to glass all day with a scope and not walk anywhere. Try to ambush elk opening day if you are able to spot any, after that stillhunt the dark timber/oakbrush areas all day.

If you are not going archery, I have found the second season most productive for OTC. If you can get access to private land, then I would hunt third season. The weather gods will determine your success.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was kinda planning on the second season and I think it will work out for my schedule. We will be there a day or two early and get up high to glass. I would some day like to do archery but its just not going to happen this year.

Back