CO Unit 76 Early Archery

Dhosera

I drew the early archery tag for this unit. I've spoken to a couple guys on Rokslide about their experience elk hunting the unit, the unit deer bio and the adjacent unit's deer bio, but nobody that's actually hunted deer in 76. Headed out from Michigan later this week for a week of scouting, trails, trail-heads, access and just getting eyes on the unit in general. I heard there's still PILES of snow in the high country so I thought about pushing the scouting trip off, but I think that info could prove priceless for me come September. Anyone that's been in there care to share your experience? PM me! Thanks in advance!

I hunted deer in 76 several years ago. Not sure where you are headed in the unit but I would recommend staying away from the CD trail, lots of hiker traffic especially that time of year. Not sure what information you are looking for but you can pm me and I will help if I can.

I saw some really nice bucks a few years ago when I elk hunted it.

If it were me I’d wait until end of July. For one there are a lot of hikers and mountain bikers flooding the areas for the 4th of July. And let the snow melt some more to give a better idea of what it’s going to be like in September.

First, snow pack is around 110% of average right now and still snowing in areas of the mountains. Snow is deep at high elevations so much that Arapahoe Basin (A-Basin) ski area in Colorado is not closing until July 4th and I think they can stay open longer if they wanted.

Second, because of the heavy snow pack at the high elevations, you are likely to see the elk and big buck deer down lower than usual at least during scouting. Deer trophy potential is good if you are willing to work for it. Come hunting time, you should find them in the forested areas and near thick oak brush where they bed down. Probably up high. I would start high and work down and spend some days hunting if you can. Trophies are not easy in 76 for deer. Any deer is a different story. You will likely see several does before you see a buck, but where you see a bunch of does in Colorado, there is a buck nearby. I guarantee that.

You will find much of the best deer at the highest elevation where they can still have access to food. So don't go much higher than where the snowpack starts if it's there when you get there.

I haven't hunted that area since 1990s but I don't think conditions hunt wise have changed much.

Drove over wolf creek yesterday. You could definitely ski off the peak.
Rivers are full throttle right now, meaning an F load on snow still high.
I’ve hunted 76 many times. I second what Doug said.
High country holds some deer but its much more suited for elk. If you see a 4 point, shoot it

You guys are awesome! Hmmmm.....Maybe I should postpone the scouting mission if they are still skiing where I wanna be hunting. I had some other feedback from a member painting a similar story. Thanks for the help!! PM coming at ya Kharper

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back