Caribou Gear

CO Archery Hunter Numbers 2007-2020

Me too! I was a 4th generation Colorado native and moved north for those exact reasons...

I wonder how many archery elk tags Colorado sold in 1973 when I killed a bull with a sharp stick almost within walking distance of my home in Steamboat.
It’s funny how everyone’s reference points and perspective are different. I’m a lifelong Montanan and have only hunted Colorado recently 3 times for mule deer in 3rd season. However, each of the 3 years I shot big mule deer bucks and saw multiple browntine bulls on public land that I’m pretty sure I could have harvested also. Way better than any luck I have ever had in Montana. But I get what your saying since the quality of the hunting in Montana and amount of people that have moved here since I was kid is pretty depressing enough that I think about moving also.

I am not at all surprised by the average number of days. A lot of residents hunt only weekends or Friday sat and sun. Almost always archery talks center around what week is the best. The number of archery hunters has went insane in Colorado.

Here is what I have always suggested...

1. Other than trophy or quality units, OTC resident in all other archery units. No carve outs on the flat tops, etc. Then a NR with caps OTC.

All draw licenses move to at least 75/25 but better would be 80/20... Despite my pushing for WY to go 90/10... I am not sure Colorado can go that route simply because there are already so many other lic. carve outs. RFW, Transferable land owner tags, PLO, etc.

End the preference point system immediately. No more points, convert the system to a random draw and those with points get a squared bonus until the system is completely purged.

The very last thing we should be limiting is archery. As long as there are unlimited OTC tags then archery should be the last thing hit.

YouTube and othe social media have alot to do with it. Also better GPS and easy to use apps. I am sure if everyone had to go back to the days of paper maps, compass, and no Google Maps or other similar things, the numbers would drop significantly!

Reactions: DFS
What I find most interesting is although the items mentioned above have sparked huge interest in western hunting leading to huge junps in hunter numbers, why hasn't it for eastern hunting?

Is it because of the difference in easy public land access?

Is it because of the difference in media such as how @Big Fin portrays hunting compared to the likes of Realtree Outdoors and other similar shows?

Is it because of the shift in eastern lifestyles from rural living to urban living over the last two decades?
I always think of population growth out west, technology (maps, application, lighter gear, clothing), whereas east Coast you need money to hunt via a lease mostly and ferrer people want hunters on their land.

Let see some 50K plus archery elk hunters, they took 4,394 bulls,1413 cows and 150 calves for total of 5,957 elk. 2021.
Yea, success rates have been pretty steady (10-12%), it's just the number of people you see in the woods that has gone up, for your relatively small chance of seeing or killing an elk.

Yea, success rates have been pretty steady (10-12%), it's just the number of people you see in the woods that has gone up, for your relatively small chance of seeing or killing an elk.
During archery you also have antelope,bear,deer,cow moose. You also have ML during archery and rifle bear same dates as archery. Are you counting hikers. Sept lot of hunters,hikers in the woods. I go up for full month and I hunt public land I see guys fishing,hiking, hunters and family camping, doesn't bother me. It's public land.

I think your old enough to confirm hunting dates(ML/Rifle) during archery on what I posted. You can look up stats and find out how many hunters in unit your hunting.
I meant if you are not bothered by all the other people in your spot, share the exact location of your spot on this public forum. I meant it mostly in jest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back